Pinned Game crashes immediately on startup (Steam version) Solved: Start Steam with Admin permissions

• Game crashes immediately on startup (Steam version) Solved: Start Steam with Admin permissions

I bought the game on steam and installed it last night. When I try to run it I just get a black screen for half a second and then it crashes. I tried uninstalling, everything I could find related to CnC and reinstalling then rebooting, no results. I attached all the logs I could find. Drivers are up to date and PC more than meets the minimum requirements.

Debug.log
    C4Log.html.txt
  • Can you navigate to thh Cattle and Crops Steam folder and do a SHA-1 sum (use 7zip for example) of this folder like you can see in my screenshot:

If your SHA-1 sum differs from mine shown in the screenshot then try again with reinstallation with disabled Antivirus.

In the past we had here and there issues with people who are usinge the Launcher version. They had issues with 3rd party vendor antivirus. They had to disable the Antivirus when downloading and installing and then it worked. As far as I can remember there are not any known issues with the steam installer.

Regards
    Nachtfalke
  • In addition I am a little bit surprised that the 1070 only supports GLSL 3.3.0. From your C4log:

GL_VENDOR NVIDIA Corporation
    GL_RENDERER GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
    GL_VERSION 3.3.0 NVIDIA 441.08
    GLSL Version 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

I am not using nvidia cards but my old AMD R270X offer GLSL version 4.60.

This is OpenGL driver version or driver support. Do you have any "special" driver installed or can you try another version of the driver?
  • What antivirus are you using?
    Have you tried to delete the entire Cattle and Crops folder under Documents/myGames?
    After deleting the folder, deactivate the virus scanner before restarting the game.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3800Mhz, Gigabyte X570 Elite, AMD Radeon RX 6900XT, BeQuiet! Straight Power 850W, BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX weiß, 3x 27" Dell WQHD Monitore, Saitek Seitenkons., CSL DD, HP Reverb G2
  • Nachtfalke wrote:

In addition I am a little bit surprised that the 1070 only supports GLSL 3.3.0. From your C4log:

GL_VENDOR NVIDIA Corporation
    GL_RENDERER GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
    GL_VERSION 3.3.0 NVIDIA 441.08
    GLSL Version 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

I am not using nvidia cards but my old AMD R270X offer GLSL version 4.60.

This is OpenGL driver version or driver support. Do you have any "special" driver installed or can you try another version of the driver?

That's weird, I never really paid attention to OpenGL versions but I just downloaded OpenGL Extensions Viewer and it says version 4.6. Why does C4 report a different one?

I am not using a special driver, I had an earlier version last night and I updated it before going to bed. CnC didn't work either before I updated.

I exported xml from glview and attached it as a zip file in case that can help.
    Images
    • glv.png

60.61 kB, 788×681, viewed 537 times
    Files
    • glview.zip

(9.34 kB, downloaded 581 times, last: )
  • Not that I am aware of. Only the two paths you mentioned.
    Do you have "Steam Common Redistributeables" installed?

In you My Games folder there is an engine.cfg. You can try to edit these lines accordingly:

Variable (name = "displayBorderless") {string {"0"}}
    Variable (name = "displayFull") {string {"0"}}
    Variable (name = "displayHeight") {string {"1080"}}
    Variable (name = "displayWidth") {string {"1920"}}

This should start the game in "windowed" mode. If it is already windowed try with "displayFull = 1"
    Perhaps helps. Further you can try to select a proper resolution.
  • Things have somehow gotten worse. My My Games/Cattle and Crops folder is all empty folders now except the 2 log files. I uninstalled and reinstalled again, with AV disabled and it just keeps recreating the same tree of empty folders.

Edit: I restored the biggest version of it from the recycle bin, will try editing engine.cfg
    And it seems I do have the steam common redistributables installed

Further edit: [b](Read this future googlers with the same issue)[/b]
    Wow, okay. I can get to the main menu by running steam as administrator (I had tried running [i]CattleAndCrops.exe[/i] as admin to no avail). That way works with or without an antivirus running, although I did set CattleAndCrops.exe to "Trusted" in KIS.

It looks like CattleAndCrops was denied access to files inside My Games/Cattle and Crops even with KIS turned off, maybe Windows Defender kicks in when it detects the other AV is off? I don't mean to be a dick, but this kind of problem would probably happen a lot less if the .exe was signed. It's not that hard, I've done it in the past.

I assume the rest of the game works too, I just wanted to let you guys know before I get sucked in the game. Thank you all for the help :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gabriel Arsenault ().

• That's nice to read! I've also read about a lot of events where the blank deactivation of the AV didn't work, but uninstalling it did!
    But nice that it works now.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3800Mhz, Gigabyte X570 Elite, AMD Radeon RX 6900XT, BeQuiet! Straight Power 850W, BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX weiß, 3x 27" Dell WQHD Monitore, Saitek Seitenkons., CSL DD, HP Reverb G2
  • TheCoCe wrote:

Thats really weird. The .exe should actually be signed. Both in the launcher and the steam version.

Huh, I noticed when I went to add the exception in KIS that it said it wasn't signed. When I saw your reply I went to double-check and I can't see a signature in Windows Explorer, neither can signtool.exe.

CattleAndCrops.exe SHA-1: 91F918200B5E54F9507B905934111A2B275FD1A7
    If anyone wants to compare it to theirs.