Modding Tools

• Modding Tools

Hi there all,

Like everyone here I am really excited at the forthcoming release of CnC, it looks amazing and can't wait to get some dirt under my fingernails!

I am really enjoying making maps for FS17 and will be transferring my skills to CnC. In preparation for this I wondered if there is any knowledge about as to what tools I will need to learn.

I am assuming:

- Blender
      - A Developer Map tool?
      - Lua / XML? Any news on what code we will need to know?
      - Anything else I might want to spend some time learning before release to help me make maps?

I have put a hold on building out my 4x map for FS17 as want to get ready to be early on the mod train and have a list of ideas already given what I have seen in the videos!!

Thanks

U8
    • According to the FAQ, if it should be during the EA stage

EARLY ACCESS SINGLE PLAYER EDITION: March 2017
      • Game launcher for updates
      • German map (4 km² / ~ 990 ac)
      • Mid-sized vehicle fleet (as seen in the trailer video) plus additional machinery
      • Employees and AI workers
      • Corn, biogas plant, cattle
      • Modding support (incl. ingame vehicle and map editor)
      • Continuous development based on user feedback
      • Regular updates with improvements, new features and vehicles of the final version
    • Will be interesting to see how this develops. I recall reading on one post / blog that the Dev will be releasing all the tools they have used to build CnC to the modding community. I am flying around for the next few days but if someone can find and reference that it would be great.

FS17 content got so diluted and the mod download sites really ruined the modding consumption experience for general users.... I even experienced frequent ransom-ware pop-ups (easily deflected, but not for all) from one site.

I know it won't happen but in the nirvana of modding worlds I wish that mod hosting sites don't abuse the good nature of modders and their consumers by layering on commercial clickbait and ads onto the community experience. We have a fresh start to make a great community in CnC!

So excited for this!
    • LKAMinco wrote:

I do not think that mods are done in xml because lazy people can rob fs :D
      XML is an industry standard for storing data, and LUA is a popular scripting language frequently used to extend games. There both tools the mod community are familiar and in my opinion the devs would be daft to use something else. People are going to want mods in CnC as soon as possible, forcing moders to learn new tools would only slow things down. Will some mods be lifted from FS, they most likely will, but that was inevitable no matter what tools are being used