AMD graphic cards - performance, FPS

• AMD graphic cards - performance, FPS

I added this thread for sure, to be specific and dedicated to AMD graphic cards performance, like in german forum part.

Well, some rating of current update No. 0.0.9.2.1 on this topic.

Performance for AMD users got better as predicted. Aproximate announced estimate 50-200% is aprox. correct.

I did some tests with different settings, mainly Vegetation density 1 and 2. Basicly, I left default settings which game set to my system.

Some default things:
    Graphic details - High
    Veget. rendering distance - 150
    Veget. density - 1

When I spawned and confirmed mission, FPS were 40-50 when looking at main farm building (where machines spawn).
    I went closer to buildings and turned to field - FPS dropped to aprox. 28-30, when I turned my view to the tractor - FPS went to 36.

When I got in the tractor - FPS went to 25-30. During driving on the roads FPS kept around 20-30 based on where I currently moved.
    In the fields FPS dropped to 20-27 and kept in this values.

When I switched veget. density to 2 - FPS in the field dropped to 13-15. Out of the field it was around 20, somewhere even 25.

In conclusion, I'm glad there is some advance in this thing and I hope there will be ability of another advance, to grow FPS and decrease render/process time like nvidias have, in the future.

Question to @Rob: can you predict, if there is even possibility of another upgrade to make performance even better for AMD'ers, or this current one is last and nothing else is possible to do with it? Thanks in advance. You can speak freely, let's have a clear and honest feedback. And for me, to have some idea if is better/necessary to buy new nvidia card for final game to have great performance and enjoyment from the game. I don't want to overtake events, so I believe some another updates for AMDs will come, but it's good to be prepared for everything.

I thank even for this last update, which got better our performance at least a little bit. I can imagine, it's not easy job to find some issues and repair them. Unfortunatelly, there is bad thing, that nvidia and AMD goes by different ways within their systems.

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
    GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
    RAM - 8 GB
    Win 7 64bit

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dylan81 ().

• Well the AMD developer forums are full of complaints about a dreadful OpenGL performance with the AMD driver.

I found at least one issue with the AMD driver that was caused by drawing virtually any geometry and that had a huge impact on every drawcall.
    It is a CPU<->GPU synchronization problem where every upload of custom shader information stalls the AMD driver.

I could implement a workaround for most shaders in the world but the shaders in the tractors are still affected because they require more game code driven parameters.

Besides that tanks the framerate when you go inside the tractor because of the mirrors that get activated.
    Usually we have to render the scene only once when you are outside because the mirrors are switched off and replaced by a simple PBR metall reflection.
    However if you are inside the tractor then you have to render the world from each adjustable mirror so you render the scene 3-4 times instead of only one time.
    This is also about the heavy game design versus possible implementation reality.
    There will be an option to turn off the mirrors in the tractor cabin so it is up to the user.

There is an assets bug with vegetation density 2 so it draws 4 times too many plants. Simply forget that option at the moment please.
    It's on our roadmap to get fixed but we haven't had time for it yet.

I'm glad that we got reports that the overall performance went from 15 to 60 fps for some users.

However there will be another update that will improve the performance with AMD cards addressing the render performance of the tractors.
    Cattle and Crops - Engine Guru
  • Thank you very much Rob for an exhausting answer :thumbup: . All is clear and I wish you a lot of success in solving of another performance updates.

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
    GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
    RAM - 8 GB
    Win 7 64bit

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dylan81 ().

• AMD told me that first optimizations for Cattle and Crops have landed into the public driver version 17.12.1.
    I recommend to update your drivers and test it. It performs way better on my development machine.
    Especially the ground vegetation rendering profits from the new driver.
    Cattle and Crops - Engine Guru