Wet mud too easy to drive through?

• I mean I hope it becomes a nice balance at some stage, I don't want to be getting stuck all the time just trying to plow a field.

Obviously it should depend on the wetness of the soil as to how easily you can get bogged.
    Also it should depend on the combined weight etc of your tractor + any implements plus take into consideration wheel types (care, single, single wide, duals etc).

• there is no universal mud IRL, given the huge number of soil types, and the fact that the layers to a field with respect to soil structure can differ from different areas of the same field, and from field to field, farm to farm etc based on farming methods etc besides weather.

e.g. is the visually really wet field caused by 2 weeks of light rain, or an early morning torrential downpour? or dose it just have vey bad drainage, or is there an underlying layer of clay?

its just the same with dry looking fields, you could have a field that looks dry because of a very hot dry week immediately after 2 weeks of light rain and the surface could start to crack, but 12" (~30cm) down it could still be very wet, meaning if you brake through the crust of the surface you "could" sink to the axles.

i.e. just looking at the surface of a field without knowing the localised soil types, farming methods and the preceding weather etc, it is hard to say its easy or not and what type of tyre will work the best, as sometimes if there is a hard underlying surface a narrow tyre will perform much better than a very wide tyre.
  • Great description of mud variability b101uk. I wonder which of the mud types the game will actually simulate?

I'm reminded of current conditions (near me, in "cornfields, Indiana") where we had about two weeks of hot and dry weather, with lots of planting going on, then suddenly two days with big thunderstorms lasting hours, each dropping about 3 cm of rain. Like they cut-and-pasted the first day.

Lots of equipment left in the fields, with standing water between the ruts left by the implements just before they walked away. No movement in the last two days while everything dries out...I think they know better than to waste time and create a mess. Some fields just don't drain quickly, maybe because of clay? Sad to see some newly growing plant shoots (corn, beans) actually underwater in places.

My in-game experience with field 11 (0.0.8, the large field with wet spots) and gameplay question:
    I cultivated around the perimeter of this wet field, with one set of wheels on the "dry" headland, and had no trouble. But attempting to cross the already-cultivated boundary I had created, with the cultivator lowered just off the edge of the field (touching that dry land), and my wheels entirely in the field, I just sat and spun. Not just wet soil, but also just-cultivated soil apparently has poor traction. I approve; this seems pretty real-ish.

Question to anyone who knows: I had started my run using the "T" (speed control) key, but couldn't turn it off! I could hit the "S" key to temporarily stop and/or reverse, but it just resumed spinning and whining in a forward gear... eventually I quit the game. I wonder how you do shut off speed control under these circumstances?
    I like farm sims so much I moved to REAL farm country...

• Limmin wrote:

Great description of mud variability b101uk. I wonder which of the mud types the game will actually simulate?

I'm reminded of current conditions (near me, in "cornfields, Indiana") where we had about two weeks of hot and dry weather, with lots of planting going on, then suddenly two days with big thunderstorms lasting hours, each dropping about 3 cm of rain. Like they cut-and-pasted the first day.

Lots of equipment left in the fields, with standing water between the ruts left by the implements just before they walked away. No movement in the last two days while everything dries out...I think they know better than to waste time and create a mess. Some fields just don't drain quickly, maybe because of clay? Sad to see some newly growing plant shoots (corn, beans) actually underwater in places.

My in-game experience with field 11 (0.0.8, the large field with wet spots) and gameplay question:
    I cultivated around the perimeter of this wet field, with one set of wheels on the "dry" headland, and had no trouble. But attempting to cross the already-cultivated boundary I had created, with the cultivator lowered just off the edge of the field (touching that dry land), and my wheels entirely in the field, I just sat and spun. Not just wet soil, but also just-cultivated soil apparently has poor traction. I approve; this seems pretty real-ish.

Question to anyone who knows: I had started my run using the "T" (speed control) key, but couldn't turn it off! I could hit the "S" key to temporarily stop and/or reverse, but it just resumed spinning and whining in a forward gear... eventually I quit the game. I wonder how you do shut off speed control under these circumstances?
    To answer your question: I had the same experience when I helped an Employee. He always started to drive again, while my brain was idling. So I went to the vehicles menu. Choosed the vehicle. There you can find a small bottom "R" for Reset on the top right. Maybe this could help you.
  • Thank you. Looks like I need to experiment with hiring and using employees...

I believe I noticed some difference in driving controls with 0.0.8.1, hitting "s" (reverse or stop) took it out of speed control "t" more definitively than before. So I'll try what you did, with an employee on the muddy field.
    I like farm sims so much I moved to REAL farm country...
  • Perhaps you have already figured out how to cancel speed control, but anyway you should click throgh the whole speed levels to cancel it.

Limmin wrote:

It should work this way. First click = approximately 1/4 of full throttle, second click = approximately 1/2 of full throttle and third click = full throttle. So if you have set the first level of speed control. You must click 3 times again to cancel it, I think. You may look to the motion of throttle pedal (in cab view) how it goes down according to speed set by clicking T key.

I hope it helps. I don't use T key anymore, since I made my joystick functional.

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
    GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
    RAM - 8 GB
    Win 7 64bit

The post was edited 2 times, last by Dylan81 ().