help!?

• Facerafter wrote:

That still doesn't solve the problem, because afterwards they won't be able to download the game through the launcher, it will just crash. Their whole CDN is offline.
    It does, the launcher is not required to actually open the game. The game lacks any DRM. And anyway, as soon as the game is downloaded - the launcher sometimes does recognise the files as being there. And I do understand that their CDN is down, unfortunately - they modified the Open-Source launcher so that it only uses their servers, so I can't properly mirror their CDN, own silly mistake i guess :(
  • Narod wrote:

Facerafter wrote:

That still doesn't solve the problem, because afterwards they won't be able to download the game through the launcher, it will just crash. Their whole CDN is offline.
    It does, the launcher is not required to actually open the game. The game lacks any DRM. And anyway, as soon as the game is downloaded - the launcher sometimes does recognise the files as being there. And I do understand that their CDN is down, unfortunately - they modified the Open-Source launcher so that it only uses their servers, so I can't properly mirror their CDN, own silly mistake i guess :(
    Read agian what I posted. Your website only gives the launcher installer, not the game files. So people currently have no way to download the game files due to the cdn being offline.
  • Facerafter wrote:

Narod wrote:

Facerafter wrote:

Narod wrote:

Regardless, just visit my site and follow the third link
    Read agian what I posted. Your website only gives the launcher installer, not the game files. So people currently have no way to download the game files due to the cdn being offline.
  • Maciej wrote:

Narod wrote:

My website does now give a .torrent file for the game files and a .zip of it is also being uploaded.
    Do you have read carefully license after first launch or just clicked it to let you go?
    Unsure on what you mean. Regardless - all the downloads on my site are now offline as the launcher is back up again, so for legal reasons I can't see hosting it any longer helping anyone.
  • @Narod

I would think that you are walking a very fine line when hosting this kind of contents. This is still a Server Test so, there will be issues along the way.

What I feel is grossing the line, when you instruct people to circumvent the license protection and encourage to download via torrents. This mybe a Test only but if you start now, will you stop when the game is out???
    I have seen you posts on the German forum too.

Please stope before you get in over your head. I personal would not accept you activities in the Forum and ask you to be Band from the forum and the game if you continue. Sorry mate, but we have supported MBB because we want them to succeed and not to be ripped off by someone that needs to hoste things as torrent
    Programming today is the race between software engineers building bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the universe producing bigger and better idiots.

So far, the universe is winning.....
  • Whilst I agree hosting a torrent of a game is bad, in his case I believe it was done in good faith and no malice was involved in the decision.

It was done for the many people who had the Google error and launchpad errors.

Obviously there will be errors etc and delays and in future. I personally think that any future torrents of the game should be avoided %100 and would hope no one who supports the game would let others get the same benefits as them without helping the company that will grow their game. At the end of the day anyone hosting a torrent is shooting themselves and everybody else who backed the game in the feet.

I %100 don't condone torrents but as I said I believe it was done in good faith with no intent to cause harm or damage to CnC.

• @mmmBetty

The point here is, that if you start something, you may not be able to stop it again. It is important that we sent the right signal in the forum and that is that we will not accept this kind of action.

Yes, there have been problems on the server when downloading. But that has been solved. Some people think that the guys from MBB are having a weekend off now - someone posted it on the German part. But I would guess that they are in the office looking at the performance of the server.
    Programming today is the race between software engineers building bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the universe producing bigger and better idiots.

• mmmBetty wrote:

Whilst I agree hosting a torrent of a game is bad, in his case I believe it was done in good faith and no malice was involved in the decision.

It was done for the many people who had the Google error and launchpad errors.

Obviously there will be errors etc and delays and in future. I personally think that any future torrents of the game should be avoided %100 and would hope no one who supports the game would let others get the same benefits as them without helping the company that will grow their game. At the end of the day anyone hosting a torrent is shooting themselves and everybody else who backed the game in the feet.

I %100 don't condone torrents but as I said I believe it was done in good faith with no intent to cause harm or damage to CnC.
    This was exactly what I was doing, there was no malicious intent or anything like that.

MadCat71 wrote:

I would think that you are walking a very fine line when hosting this kind of contents. This is still a Server Test so, there will be issues along the way.

What I feel is grossing the line, when you instruct people to circumvent the license protection and encourage to download via torrents. This mybe a Test only but if you start now, will you stop when the game is out???
    I have seen you posts on the German forum too.

Please stope before you get in over your head. I personal would not accept you activities in the Forum and ask you to be Band from the forum and the game if you continue. Sorry mate, but we have supported MBB because we want them to succeed and not to be ripped off by someone that needs to hoste things as torrent
    I understood that what I was doing was on the 'very fine line' of what is right and wrong. It is indeed a server test, however - the problem was actually caused by a gross underestimation of how many people would be download the game, which seems like something that was overlooked - seeming as they have the exact numbers for that kind of stuff... I didn't instruct anybody to circumvent and license protection, and there was definitely no encouragement to download via torrents, it's an option, not something I forced. I have already stopped, so I have no idea where you got this 'will you ever stop???' from? I posted on the german forums just to help people out. Telling me to stop 'before i get it in my head' just seems like a direct insult so I'm not even commenting on that. Saying that you would not 'accept my activities on the forum' is simply what you think, and wanting me to get banned after giving over 100euro to this game seems like a long shot, I've given more to this game than you, which should be the most obvious way to notice that I had no bad intents. I didn't rip anybody off, and I was helping those who PAID for the game. I do understand that it's possible that people who didn't pay used by downloads, and I do apologise for that, but I believe the vast majority of people did pay and just wanted to play something they paid for.
  • Narod wrote:

1. This was exactly what I was doing, there was no malicious intent or anything like that.
    I understood that what I was doing was on the 'very fine line' of what is right and wrong. It is indeed a server test, however - the problem was actually caused by a gross underestimation of how many people would be download the game

2. "wanting me to get banned after giving over 100euro to this game seems like a long shot, I've given more to this game than you"
    1. THAT is the whole point of TESTING before the initial release! No one could know what was to be expected, now they do know what is to be expected. And someone putting up a torrent of the launcher might be counter productive, because it might skew the numbers and data needed to make a correct estimate on how many people who will actually download upon release.

2. That comment just makes you look like a self-righteous someone who thinks he is better because he gave more money.

The post was edited 4 times, last by ChiloopaBatman ().

• ChiloopaBatman wrote:

Narod wrote:

This was exactly what I was doing, there was no malicious intent or anything like that.
    I understood that what I was doing was on the 'very fine line' of what is right and wrong. It is indeed a server test, however - the problem was actually caused by a gross underestimation of how many people would be download the game
    THAT is the whole point of TESTING before the initial release! No one could know what was to be expected, now they do know what is to be expected. And someone putting up a torrent of the launcher might be counter productive, because it might skew the numbers and data needed to make a correct estimate on how many people who will actually download upon release.
    They already have these numbers. It's a simple calculation and I'll prove it.

Launcher + Game = 2GB -> this is how much one user would use.

Now to get how many 'users' there are. They just simply run a database query, that searches everybody who has paid for the game, everyone with a kickstarter rank etc. and gives back this number.

You simply then get this number, times it by two and boom - that's how many GB's will be required if all the users downloaded it.
  • MadCat71 wrote:

@mmmBetty

The point here is, that if you start something, you may not be able to stop it again. It is important that we sent the right signal in the forum and that is that we will not accept this kind of action.

Yes, there have been problems on the server when downloading. But that has been solved. Some people think that the guys from MBB are having a weekend off now - someone posted it on the German part. But I would guess that they are in the office looking at the performance of the server.

I think it's a general consensus that torrents of games are very bad and especially bad for indie developers and small companies. I am ok with you pointing it out but you are in my opinion overreacting to this situation in question.

Like I said before I believe it was done with no ill intentions and in good faith for other backers of the game. (I would recommend not doing it again however)

The second paragraph is irrelevant in this issue so I won't respond to that one.

That is just my opinion and I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

On the other hand, if the game gets leaked when it's released in EA and you can bet it will, I hope they find the person responsible and ban them (Probably very hard to do). They could even pursue legal action if they felt the need to.

Unfortunantly you are never going to stop torrenting happening in this day and age, there are many ways to try and stop it happening but at the end of the day it only slows them down.

The one good thing we have is the game not being a huge game ie: farm sim, cod etc. If they make it hard to torrent in any way a lot of people looking to crack the game etc probably just wouldn't bother.

• Well,

@Narod
    Sorry you see it this way. But I don't see the point that you instruct people to circumvent the license function or that you put a torrent up.
    If you had read me post right it was " before you get in over your head". Not a insult, just a command and a fact.
    I had no intentions to step on your feed but you ask for it. Sorry mate! What was the point doing? It was a test, so problems was supposed to come up!

And how would you know what I have or have not done? Keep it down. You just make it worse for youself.
    I had my say and that was my opinion - all done. Let's focus on the game and how we as forum can help making it better.
    And that is together.

So, sorry to have kicked you a bit, wasn't my intention. Just I really would like to have C&C get a good start and all supporters getting what they paid for. But that will say that we and everybody else have to pay for the game. Software R&D does cost money.

• MadCat71 wrote:

Well,

@Narod
    Sorry you see it this way. But I don't see the point that you instruct people to circumvent the license function or that you put a torrent up.
    If you had read me post right it was " before you get in over your head". Not a insult, just a command and a fact.
    I had no intentions to step on your feed but you ask for it. Sorry mate! What was the point doing? It was a test, so problems was supposed to come up!

And how would you know what I have or have not done? Keep it down. You just make it worse for youself.
    I had my say and that was my opinion - all done. Let's focus on the game and how we as forum can help making it better.
    And that is together.

So, sorry to have kicked you a bit, wasn't my intention. Just I really would like to have C&C get a good start and all supporters getting what they paid for. But that will say that we and everybody else have to pay for the game. Software R&D does cost money.
    As would I like to see the game get a good start, and if you noticed as soon as the problem was fixed - all the links were immediately pulled off of my site, including the torrent etc.

I'm unsure what you mean by the 1st and second paragraph, but I agree on we should focus on the game and making it better collectively. :)