Status Update 13 Sep 2019

• Status Update 13 Sep 2019

Today we have new information about the current state of development and what we are working on at the moment.

So far CNC has an engine basis of the C4 Engine with some parts of the successor of the Tombstone Engine. For the Season Update we want to take over even more modules of the Tombstone Engine. Since cherry picking is hardly possible, we're putting together almost half a million lines of code by hand to get almost all the features of the latest Tombstone Engine in one fell swoop. We're also doing this in preparation for the upcoming Tombstone version, which will bring some significant quality leaps in rendering like better SSAO, Godray effects through the trees and performance optimizations.

The currently available Tombstone engine also contains many optimizations such as multi-threading improvements for increased performance, better material handling in the asset pipeline and sharp fonts in high resolutions that we have not yet been able to adopt. Also, our goal is to edit forests and hedges faster with the new Landscaping tool and also provides the basics for future map modding.

Here is a video to show you how the Landscaping-Tool works.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

With your feedback from the last update we added the function to fill the bunker of the biogas plant with helpers. So you don't need shovels anymore. In addition you will soon have the possibility to control the attach and detach of your attachments via the radial menu.
    • masterbrain wrote:

almost half a million lines of code by hand
      Really Queen

F.Y.I.
      Some of your customers work in the same branch

Tombstone version, which will bring some significant quality leaps in rendering like better SSAO, Godray effects through the trees and performance optimizations.
      Nop. the Tombstone lacks D3D support so there will be no performance and optimizations improve for Windows users for the Next generation farming simulator

IT JUST WORKS

The post was edited 1 time, last by gheazu ().

• TheCoCe wrote:

gheazu wrote:

Nop. the Tombstone lacks D3D support so there will be no performance and optimizations improve for Windows users for the Next generation farming simulator
      That's just wrong. The C4 engine has a lot of performance issues that are not at all related to the graphics API. The improvements can help a lot. Also improving rendering algorithms can help
      Ignore this person. All he wants to do is being negative about this product. Keep up the good work guys. Curious how everything will look once it's done :)
      Proper Sim gamer. Rally games tractor and truck games. Bus games and train games you name it :)

• Lee01Mr wrote:

Ignore this person. All he wants to do is being negative about this product
      On the contrary im not negative i just tell you what you need to know C4 and Tombstone lacks D3D aka Direct3D

F.Y.I.
      Direct3D is a graphics application programming interface for Microsoft Windows. Part of DirectX, Direct3D is used to render three-dimensional graphics in applications where performance is important, such as games

Tombstone is not a engine for a game like this it will not work the engine is not build for what CNC want. I say that before with the C4 engine and all of you treat me like i steal your food.

We will have another discussion when and if this game will be finish :) Till then keep on dreaming that you will get a decent 60 FPS on low settings and game will run smooth ( BYW a Indie game dos not have a graphics and the same amount of content like AAA but it must run at 60 FPS . That is the difference between Indie and aaa , graphics and content not performance)

have a nice day and i wish you god speed on a almost half a million lines of code by hand
      IT JUST WORKS
    • The next update will focus on Seasons. Here the autumn is introduced and the trees can lose their leaves. There won't be a white winter landscape for the Seasonsupdate. Therefore we have to build new shaders for vehicles and buildings. With the engine update we postpone this step.

Furthermore we are working on many small improvements and features, e.g. that the windows in the tractors become brighter and therefore have a better all-round visibility. The map Albergtal has been reworked, new decals in the village, road markings and signs have been placed.
    • @Lee01Mr where diedyou read about Vulkan Support or anything else than OpenGL?

@gheazu is right in the Point that Tombstone only supports OpenGL at the latest Version 2.9.1 as far as i know. this Version is one year old so things may have changed since then.

But noone knows what the future and Future Tombstone Versions will Support or not. To say "Will never Support" is not a good answer from my Point of view.

Further MBB did Changes in the C4/Tombstone Code so there could be things in CNC which are Not within the Basic Engine Code. E.g. physx
    • If I can read and understand well, It was said that devs are developing their own engine, which comes from Tomstone and C4.

So I would say, it's too early to guess, that mentioned features are impossible.
      Only devs are able to confirm or deny.

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
      GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
      GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
      RAM - 8 GB
      Win 7 64bit
    • Dylan81 wrote:

If I can read and understand well, It was said that devs are developing their own engine, which comes from Tomstone and C4.

So I would say, it's too early to guess, that mentioned features are impossible.
      Only devs are able to confirm or deny.
      Well, it is Not their own Engine. They use the Base of C4 and Tombstone and they modified parts as they need it.

Developing an own Game Engine is a huge Part of work. But you are right, If they need some Feature they are perhaps able to implement it in their own.

But implementing a low-level API Like Vulkan or DirectX 12 is probably Something only the Game Engine Developer (Tombstone) could do.

So @gheazu is right that there is no Vulkan or any other API Support visible in the Most recent Tombstone.
    • Thanks for the explanation.
      Well we can put this question to the questions thread and we may hope, that devs will answer it.
      Another thing is, that MBB surely know what they do and what to await from used engine, when they choose it as primary platform .

RAM - 8 GB
      Win 7 64bit
    • Octopuss wrote:

OpenGL is a dinosaur and I just don't understand why would anyone be willingly dealing with that. Even Dx11 is better.
      I would assume they chose this engine because it's fairly cheap and that they gott to access to it's code to make changes to it.

This is based on assumption and not facts, I have a vague memory of a post where they said why they chose this engine (Y)

I don't know much about openGL, dx11/dx12, Vulcan etc but it would be nice if they managed to upgrade the engine at some point to the better (Y)
    • Octopuss wrote:

OpenGL is a dinosaur and I just don't understand why would anyone be willingly dealing with that. Even Dx11 is better.
      I agree with you in the part that OpenGL is not the best solution nowadays. Having support for Vulkan probably would be a better solution. Would run on any Windows version (DX12 only runs on Windows 10) and Vulkan would run on Linux.

And ais said already by @stdok DX11 is not running on Linux.

But it is needless to discuss this question as long as Tombstone does not offer support for any other graphics API than OpenGL at the moment.
      If there will be a day that Tombstone Engine supports other APIs - THEN and only THEN - MBB can start investigating which new API will give best performance for CNC.

Regrads
      Nachtfalke
    • Octopuss wrote:

Oh wait. You're absolutely right. Windows mentality
      well they cannot go bout way that is what history show us even you get good performance on windows (witch is the best os for games at this point) even you do a hybrid ruining OpenGL that is supported on windows and Linux, the down side is OpenGL is old and slow compare to vulkan and Dx.
      The part i do not understand is why they aim for AAA graphical quality when you know your engine dos not support it, details on machines and world is crippling the lil tombstone. but again this a decision made buy the software engineer.
      We work with tombstone and we cod not get it to use all hardware recurses, tons of memory leaks , flooding the l2 cache with no reason, render glitch and tones of physics problems. And the support for this engine is close to 0 (only a few devs use it and they use it for small projects )
      hope C&C have more experience and sort it out :thumbup:
      IT JUST WORKS
    • We are in the process of revising the Dammann Feldspritze together with your feedback, there are several points for the height measurement, so the boom can now automatically adjust the inclination and height on uneven terrain.

At the same time we are still busy with the engine and the Seasons update. The first test versions of the Seasons Update have already passed through the testing department and we are already working on the improvements.
    • Let him waste his words. It seems, he's from sort who can never be satisfied, who is still looking for issues and shortcomings. Lost case.
      I've said it several times, a more patiency and forgiveness would be appreciated.

There are only few ways. Either be satisfied with current (according to me "great success", in comparison with other farm sims), or play something else for now.

RAM - 8 GB
      Win 7 64bit
    • Nachtfalke wrote:

Do you play "Timeline" or do you play the Game?
      No one plays the game for long time mate check out the statistics on steam steamcharts.com/app/704030

and this is no news no timeline . the web is out of date and there is no date nothing when the next patch will come out and how this change effect the current timeline and game play. All we get is we are working on new engine. This is not a news this is a statement

ReVO26 wrote:

Don't waste time for him.He is an ever dissatisfied person
      And you are not ? when the game who was advertise as the NEXT GENERATION FARMING SIMULATOR runs at 20 FPS and has nothing next gen ?

Dylan81 wrote:

Let him waste his words. It seems, he's from sort who can never be satisfied
      A simple edit on the web timeline will do me fine (and not only me)
      IT JUST WORKS