0.5.0.6 First Impressions

• 0.5.0.6 First Impressions

Alright.... first let me say that by no means have I fully tested this new version. I've only got 5 or 6 hours in, and as title says this is only a first impression. And let me note now, that this is all In My Own Opinion.... so I don't have to say it 7000 times.

So starting with the UI. The game clearly seems a little bit more polished. The UI on unloading/loading is much sexier now... like Dang... Nice! And, although I personally use 6 different controllers to play, none of which is an Xbox controller, I have a real appreciation for the radial screen (Smart Move); Mainly for me, because of the way I have always hated both in FS and in C&C, the way IC has worked.... I play out of cab, but when it's warm out I like to open a window, or turn on the wiper when it's raining. And although (I haven't tried binding things to any of my controllers yet) I have to us my mouse do so, it's still pretty slick. One point of constructive criticism I'd like to offer though would be to give us the ability to continue to use steering, throttle and brake, while using said radial dial, so I can open the window while I'm plowing a field (ect.) without my tractor locked in a single drive mode. I will say I was a little disappointed that the Date/Speed/Weather UI in the upper left corner wasn't updated... let's be honest, that's not gonna pass as a final product, so lets hope that the UI development still continues. One final thing I'd like to see changed would be the removal of the "Missions" counter in above mentioned UI. Sometimes, I have things I wanna do before I get to a mission, if I even wanna do them at all, but it continues blinking white and red.... OMG my OCD is going crazy.

I think moving into controllers as a next topic is a pretty good segue so here we go. Although personally I would have preferred what I will mention below for my own selfish reasons, working on Xbox controller support first just makes sense! And as a EA KS supporter who is still excited about this game to this day (especially after what is the FS19 flop) I see this update, making it easier for many users to get better antiquated with the game... more users = more money = continued development = me happy. Also, the hot plugin feature is superb; Although I have not tested this myself, this is yet another feature that our counterparts are yet to figure out, which can be very handy. But for me, what I really am itching to see are two more things implemented in controller support. These are multi-button, and using the same button for multiple functions. If your unclear what I'm speaking of is for example; using the Cntl and R for rotate versus just R. and the second example would be using R for rotate and for say Unloading.... give us the options... we're big boys, most of us can handle it ;)

This kinda co-insides with controller support so segue #2. Cruise Control. Now I will admit I haven't use cruise control much in the past... It drove me nuts. Only having 3 or 4 speeds to choose from, and the transmissions in the tractors were constantly shifting trying to find the right gear, but I figured I'd give it a go and OMG, it's working so much better now. Admittedly it still has work to do from a dead stop, but you get the feeling that the tractor now is looking for traction first, then speed now versus just speed. It's kinda fun watching the tractor struggle for traction. Now before I get into how this truly segue's I would like to report (and I know I should probably create a separate thread but I'm sure this is know) a bug and that is that with the cruise control enabled switching to reverse the tractor will stop, and continue forward (tested in Deutz-Fahr). Segue time....... Now this next point I know, we may be to far away for this, but feeling this cruise control gave me hope.... Please good God give us an Axis control (hand throttle) for tractor RPM... pretty please. Me love you long time. One thought I had would be to give us a "desired" RPM indicator much like we currently have for the "desired" cruise control speed... Anyways just a thought.

No segue here... The units... It was nice to see them split so it wasn't region specific, but if I can, and I may be corrected, there are some things that still need to be adjusted. For one it is my understanding that most North American farmers refer to there crop holdings in bushels not liters or gallons. Next... the units I believe need split again. For example, we Canadians use KPH and Dollars, not MPH and Dollars... oh, and MPH, is needed :P .

3 more things that I feel need to be changed/added. For the last Q&A I asked whether Ray Tracing would be a thing (not truly knowing what it was but caught up in the RTX hype). But now that I know a bit more and have an answer and I think it's time to address shadows. The fact that we have a true rotating sun is fantastic, but in the early morning and early evening, I can't help but feel like I've never seen a 500 ft. shadow from tree before.... it all blends before it gets that definite in real life. I know shadows are also a huge drain on resources so just a thought. Next is the camera view.... OMG, it's getting old having to constantly scroll in and out. Having the vehicles and first persons views saved, as the last known camera position would be so convenient compared to what we have now. Then there's changing implements. I still to this date have no idea what implement is selected in C&C, and it's a freakin' pain in the butt unfolding/detaching (etc.) items. Just today I was going through my input bringing trying to figure out why my plow wouldn't rotate only to realize that it wasn't selected.... I hate to bring up the other guys but they kinda have a good way of letting you know this.

Lastly we have FPS...Although I haven't played in a couple months I feel like we taken a dip with this update. I could dial back the settings, but with the next update being parameters for each and every corn stock (or so is my understanding) I can't help but feel like that's gonna chew up even more memory still. So I hope enough time is spent on optimization just to stabilize things as is. We've got enough haters out there as is.

These are my first impressions... If you've made it to this point and are still reading, I'd like to hear yours;
      Rubberburner89

P.S. I can't help but feel like this is the first update that not only introduced new features, and removed old bugs.... but also didn't add new bugs... better than the other guys. WTG :thumbsup:
      Nothin' Runs Like A Deere When It's Gettin' Chased By A Magnum

Display Spoiler

i7 6700k @4.6 ghz w/ 360mm AIO liquid cooler
      32gb Corsair Vengance 3200mhz
      2 Asus Strix GTX 1070's w/ HB Bridge
      Asus Maximus Hero VIII
      Corsair HX 850i
      256gb Samsung 960 Evo (Boot)
      512gb Samsung 860 Pro (Games and Programs)
      1tb WD Black (Recordings)
      2 2tb WD Red (Mass Storage & Back-ups)
      Asus Blu-Ray Burner
      Corsair 780T
      APC 1500VA UPS w/ additional battery