The farm I work at :)

• mmmBetty wrote:

Kool video, if only I knew danish. Looks like a nice operation that is happening there.
      Thanks man! We do about 10-12.000 bales every summer, it's pretty fun to be a part of :) (My avatar pic is from my first year i worked at the farm. Day one: "Hey heres a Saddle Trac, put the bale trailer on it and go have fun...WATCH the mirrors when driving the narrow roads!" haha)

The video is about humidity measuring equipment installed in the balers, meaning you can measure humidity without getting out of the tractor. (maybe straw humidity should be a part of CnC too?) making the whole opperation more efficient.
    • ChiloopaBatman wrote:

mmmBetty wrote:

Kool video, if only I knew danish. Looks like a nice operation that is happening there.
      Thanks man! We do about 10-12.000 bales every summer, it's pretty fun to be a part of :) (My avatar pic is from my first year i worked at the farm. Day one: "Hey heres a Saddle Trac, put the bale trailer on it and go have fun...WATCH the mirrors when driving the narrow roads!" haha)
      The video is about humidity measuring equipment installed in the balers, meaning you can measure humidity without getting out of the tractor. (maybe straw humidity should be a part of CnC too?) making the whole opperation more efficient.
      That's a lot of bales, how big is the farm roughly. We used to farm 15,000 acres but have since moved on. We didn't do mass baling though just sheep and cropping.

• I'm not sure, they just bough more land. But I think it's something like 600-700 hectares (we used to have about 1000, but some of it was rented), but that just their own. We then buy straw from other farms too, which add approximately 2000 hectares more to the 600-700 hectares. For danish standards, that's pretty big (The average danish farm is about 150-200 hectares if I remember correctly).

But we create more straw per hectare in Denmark, than is Australia, due to soil quality, climate and distance between seeding rows. I think you seed with a row distance of one foot, right? In Denmark we have 5 inches between rows.
    • mmmBetty wrote:

Interesting, and yes our climate is a lot different and also I think our row spacing is around ~20cm
      Ah I see, so about twice as much space. Where I live we have some very heavy soil and hilly terrain, it can be a bitch to plow it good, haha. Do you use no-till seeding? because that's not the norm in Denmark, but it's gaining ground in Denmark (so to speak, haha). The farm in the video is only plowing every 5th year and have a lot of success doing that. But it all depends on your soil, if you have lots of stones in you soil, that is not possible.
    • Hi Guys.

Many of You maybe new to Farming, using modern machines that almost drive themself's & got nice snug cabs with radio, heaters,aircondition, auto drive ect.

But that isn't Farming..
      ...Farming is the older school wen we got soked through as We had no cab's. to stear the machines We had to turn the weel at lleast half a tern befor we started to change direction.
      We hade Machines like David Brown, Ford Dexter,Tripple Dee, Mural, Ford Major, Ford Super Major, Ford 2000 very latest tractor on the market.
      Combines like the Class Senator, Matador, Clayson, Ramson & Early style Masseys.

Hrvest was hard work Pitching bales by hand bouth to load trailers and to put bales into the larch Dutch Barns. Very duanting when You see that Barn empty and You nerw it was the start of a long hard mission to fill it with more than 5000 bales all by hand not machine. So that ment we would toss 15,000 bales just to load one Barn..

Potatatos all picked up by hand from a Field of 20 acars or more, Put into 1kt sacks & put onto trailers by hand. It was great when the new idea come to the farm when potatos where put into large 2kt box's and I got to drive the new International Tractor with a extending frount loader to lift & handle the Box's full of Potatos & empty them into a Barn ready to be hand riddled.

Winters were very harsh here in the UK. Back then We may have snow as Early as November and it would be still hanging around till March the following Year. Many place's could be cut off for many days or untill Us Farmers could clear the snow with frount buckets...

So there it is a little taster of how it use to be.

Look out for My book (Interfarms) due out in 2019.
      Interfarms Ceo.
    • I sadly only got to enjoy a few years on my dads farm before he had to stop.

He was a hobby farmer, so we had 10 pigs, 5 Charolais cows, 15 chickens a few geese and some bees, about 12 hectares of land and he had a few pieces of equipment, a Fiat 680, a 2 furrow plow, a 3 meter cultivator, a 2,5 meter sower, a concrete roller, 3 metal rollers, a New holland small baler, a bale trailer, a bale thrower(you had an arm attached to the right side of the tractor you would then drive it under a bale and release it and it would literally throw the bale over and into the bale trailer where my mom and my siblings would be and then immediately stack them it was great fun running around on the bale trailer as a kid trying to dodge 12-15 kg bales that comes flying xD ) and an old claas combine(pretty sure it was a senator but might be wrong but it was a cabless) well that was and thats about it, he also had a grass mower and a belt hay turner.

I honestly miss those days where there was a ton of small farms mixed with the slightly bigger ones, so nice to drive around and see small and large combines everywhere and tractors with equipment in all sizes it looked so nice unlike like today. Not that I have anything against new and big machines, I love them but farming today is nothing like it used to be, but I know that it will turn around again at some point. History will repeat it self

i5 4690k - 3,5 Ghz, EVGA gtx 1070 ftw hybrid - 8 gb vram, 16 gb 1600 Mhz ddr3 ram
    • Interfarms wrote:

Hi Guys.

Many of You maybe new to Farming, using modern machines that almost drive themself's & got nice snug cabs with radio, heaters,aircondition, auto drive ect.

But that isn't Farming..
      ...Farming is the older school wen we got soked through as We had no cab's. to stear the machines We had to turn the weel at lleast half a tern befor we started to change direction.
      I don't buy that argument, I could make the exact same argument only I would go back to the middle ages saying: THAT'S true farming ;)

Farming today is different, that doesn't mean it's not farming.

I remember when I was a kid in the 80's and how farming was back then. Much has changed, things has gotten bigger and more efficient, but farming is the same concept, whether it's done with a Claas Xerion 5000 and a Kverneland 12 furrow or a Horse and a one furrow plough.
    • Jeytav wrote:

I honestly miss those days where there was a ton of small farms mixed with the slightly bigger ones, so nice to drive around and see small and large combines everywhere and tractors with equipment in all sizes it looked so nice unlike like today. Not that I have anything against new and big machines, I love them but farming today is nothing like it used to be, but I know that it will turn around again at some point. History will repeat it self
      I remember the old days too, my first time driving a tractor when the neighbor farm gathered hay in the meadow, a good old cabless Massey Ferguson 35 :) Fucked up the clutch release the first time, haha.

But I don't know if farming efter returns to small farms, ever since humanity for the first time started farming the banks of the The Tigris and Euphrates river in Mesopotamia it has only gone one way. But maybe it eventually changes aftener world war 3 or something, like in Fallout 4 :D
    • Well 50-70 years ago small farms was owned by rich men living in big estates, you every thing you did farming wise was for the estate owner but then things changed at the small hobby farmers etc bought the small farms and land.

Atm farmers are struggling with the economy and at some point these big farms we have atm will crack(unless the governemts around the world does something about prices etc) and when they finally crack they need to sell their land for nothing and that means the small farmers can come back, they'll use newer tractors etc but on a smaller scale and then 40 years later the big farmers will get their hands on money again and start buying out the small farms. Trust me it will happen at some point.

i5 4690k - 3,5 Ghz, EVGA gtx 1070 ftw hybrid - 8 gb vram, 16 gb 1600 Mhz ddr3 ram
    • mmmBetty wrote:

Sounds like hard work @Interfarms I'm only 28 but when we were on our farm we still had to load bales by hand and I remember my pops harvester well, an old Massey ferguson with no cab just a frame he made up with a tarp over the top of it.
      Oh man, as a kid I loved to join my uncle on his Claas Mercator with no cab. Looking back I have no idea how I managed to get through the barley harvests without permanent eye damage.
    • I don't buy that argument, I could make the exact same argument only I
      would go back to the middle ages saying: THAT'S true farming

DrPhibes wrote:

mmmBetty wrote:

Sounds like hard work @Interfarms I'm only 28 but when we were on our farm we still had to load bales by hand and I remember my pops harvester well, an old Massey ferguson with no cab just a frame he made up with a tarp over the top of it.
      Oh man, as a kid I loved to join my uncle on his Claas Mercator with no cab. Looking back I have no idea how I managed to get through the barley harvests without permanent eye damage.

Hi Guy's.

Thank's for the intrest in my above posting!
      I agree that middle age Farming must have bing very hard but I'm not that old so I thought I'd leave that out for now.
      I did spend a few day's walking behind Two Shire Horse's plowing a field on the farm.
      That was hellish to say the least.
      My leg's cramped up every evening and during the night for days after the yomp.

The Horse's where getting towards there retirement so they new the in's and Out's of the task they done.
      I think they would have done the field totaly on there own if it was'nt for the fact the old Ransom plow had to be held up by the two handels.
      At a Farm show we had 2 achars of wheat to syth & sheve by hand ready to be trashed Once the trasher started the grain was ejected into 100Cwt sack's put onto a cart pull'd by Suffolk Colts & Taken to the mill and made into Flour, a great few days but harder than the times I spoke about early on.

Look forwards to your reply's.

Look out for My book (Interfarms) due out in 2019.
      Interfarms Ceo.
    • mmmBetty wrote:

I love the old school farming, I remember big stacks of bagged grain at the grain recieval sites, all stacked by hand off of small flatbed trucks. Unfortunantly farms got a lot bigger and I don't think you could farm 15,000 acres with old techniques like that :P
      Wow 15,000 acres That's a darn big Farm. I worked on a 1,500 acre Farm with 40 Men and another 25 Women to Help harvest potatos. I guess to man handle all the 100Cwt sacks and bales on the farm you Talk about mmmmmBetty Just 10,000 men would just about compleat the task but I for one wouldnt like to pay the wage's 8o
      Interfarms Ceo.
    • Haha @Interfarms yea it was a big farm even for Australian standards. It was actually a collection of farms that got bought up that joined as one. But they were all connected in the end. Yea I was only little when it was like that.

We didn't have the biggest and best gear on our farm and made do with what we had, 3 old Massey harvesters 2 with cabs one without, a case and a Massey tractor which both did basically everything on the farm. A small tow along spray trailer, 2 combine seeders, an old dodge seed truck which was converted to a grain bin at harvest time.

There were only 3 people working on the farm so it took them ages to do the work.