Mapping on c4 engine : 1 minute, 1 forest ?

• most of the work you do when making a map is creating all the assets that populate the map, rather than construction of the map itself (once you have the changes to the engine/editor you need to support functions you want to implement)

i.e. the test of a good editor is just how much of the work can you do in your 3d program, then export it out to the editor while retaining a 3d modals etc reference position in both global 3d spaces (the 3d program vs the editor)

as if you have to manually place e.g. each road section in the editor and have no means to get the terrain mesh from the editor to your 3d program, so you can easily build custom road sections etc that fit first time every time and conform to the terrain without sharp changes in angle at joints and don't have adverse superelevation (adverse side slope/road camber) and don't retain reference position, its become much more time consuming.
    • b101uk wrote:

most of the work you do when making a map is creating all the assets that populate the map, rather than construction of the map itself (once you have the changes to the engine/editor you need to support functions you want to implement)

i.e. the test of a good editor is just how much of the work can you do in your 3d program, then export it out to the editor while retaining a 3d modals etc reference position in both global 3d spaces (the 3d program vs the editor)

as if you have to manually place e.g. each road section in the editor and have no means to get the terrain mesh from the editor to your 3d program, so you can easily build custom road sections etc that fit first time every time and conform to the terrain without sharp changes in angle at joints and don't have adverse superelevation (adverse side slope/road camber) and don't retain reference position, its become much more time consuming.
      haha, sorry to ask, but who are you replying to? :)
    • I would say its common description of map building / editing problematics. Perhaps comparison with Giants editor.

I just guess, cause I haven't done maps before. I've just made / edited machines in FS.

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
      GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
      GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
      RAM - 8 GB
      Win 7 64bit
    • ChiloopaBatman wrote:

b101uk wrote:

most of the work you do when making a map is creating all the assets that populate the map, rather than construction of the map itself (once you have the changes to the engine/editor you need to support functions you want to implement)

haha, sorry to ask, but who are you replying to? :)

I was just making a general statement/comment eluding to the fact that placing trees is just the tip of the iceberg in the grand scheme of things.