Missing Field Markings

• Missing Field Markings

When driving in a field there are no tire tracks, nor does working the field change the color of the dirt so it is very hard to get proper coverage.
    What is strange is that if I go to the graphics settings, change nothing, and save, then previously made marks show but no new ones do. See attached for example.

Running on SteamOS with Radon HD 7850 on AMD FX8350.

From C4Log.html:
    GL_RENDERERGL_VERSIONGLSL Version
    AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.0-0.steamos.81-amd64, LLVM 5.0.0)
    4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.4

GL_EXTENSIONS includes GL_ARB_tessellation_shader

Changing the driver to AMD fglrx makes no difference.

I've also tried on a lesser machine running Ubuntu with an Intel GPU (GL_SL Version 4.50) and get the exact same thing.

Happy to provide any other details.

• Have you ever tried to set your tessellation high?

I do not have this bug with Nvidia!

Try updating your graphics card driver, maybe that helps! Or install times the original AMD driver of the graphics card!
    CPU: Intel Core i7-8700,6x3700 MHz Turbo bis zu 4700 MHz, CPU-Kühler: CSL Maelstrom 120 Wasserkühlung, 500GB SSD +3000GB Seagate/Western Digital, 32GB DDR4-Ram, GTX 1080 Ti Armor 11G OC 11GB GDDR5X, Mainboard: ASUS Prime Z370-P, Netzteil: 700 Watt Power Boost 80+ Gold, Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, Logitech G29 und Saitek Seitenkonsole
  • I'm not a Linux expert by any means but it seems like it's related to the driver you are using.
    I remember someone having this issue before and he fixed it by using the original AMD driver instead of some other available driver.

I can't give any more specific info cause I just don't know which driver was the right one at the moment.
  • Having tried multiple versions of the AMD driver as well as the Mesa one and now seeing the same thing on the Intel hardware makes me pretty sure it's not purely a driver issue. What is special about saving the settings (again, no change) that causes the field markings to be displayed?

Should toggling $vehicle_wheelTracks variable in the console cause the existing tracks to disappear/reappear?
  • I'd guess that the issue has something to do with unsupported features and therefore compatibility issues in the displacement shader used for the ground. This issue is also known on Intel hardware that does not support the features needed.

There will be a few changes in the upcoming Update regarding issues with shaders (also tackling a crash on AMD). The patch is scheduled for today (15th of August) and might just fix the issue. If it doesn't please let us know again.
  • Yeah, I think the patch from today should fix the issue.

The Problem was that the code uses GL_EXT_direct_state_access to set those tiremarks, and the open source drivers don't support that (the nvidia drivers do support it, AMDs Windows drivers support it in theory but recently introduced a bug that makes the game crash when using that feature).
    Anyway, now we have a workaround to set those tiremarks even if GL_EXT_direct_state_access is not available.
  • To be honest, this is a coincidence - we knew about the problem, but haven't gotten around to investigate it (we assumed it was some kind of Mesa bug).
    When investigating this Windows AMD driver crash (which of course had a higher priority than relatively minor graphical issues, that only happen on Linux, and only for some people on Linux) we found out that deactivating direct state access (DSA) as a workaround for the crash makes the tracks disappear - so we developed a workaround to "paint" the tracks without DSA and confirmed that it also fixes the issue on Linux with Mesa drivers.
    Two birds with one stone :D

Anyway, thanks for confirming that the fix worked for you on both AMD and Intel hardware - I think that Cattle and Crops now works at least as well with the Mesa drivers as it does on Windows on the same hardware, and almost as well as on nvidia GPUs with their proprietary drivers (I guess performance is a bit better with comparable nvidia GPUs).

The post was edited 1 time, last by caedes ().