Run C&C on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on Mac

• Run C&C on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on Mac

Just installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bits Desktop within Virtual Box on my MacBook Pro laptop. So I'm running Linux in a virtual environment to try and run C&C on a Mac while waiting for the Mac version. In the Linux environment I've downloaded the launcher and installed the game without problems, but when I try to launch the game it doesn't do anything... It doesn't even show an error message or even tries to start. Some questions:

Can you run the game in a virtual environment?
    Does the game support Virtual Box?
    Do I have to setup the virtual machine in a special way?
    Does the game support 18.04 LTS 64 bits Desktop?
    Do you have to launch the launcher or the game in a special way?
    Do you need special rights?
    Do you need to change the folder permissions in Linux?

Thanks in advance if somebody can shine a light on this.
  • I doubt that it works: As far as I know VirtualBox only supports OpenGL 2.1, we need at least OpenGL 3.3 (and even OpenGL 1.x or 2.x games run much slower in VirtualBox than when running natively on the host, so this wouldn't be much fun with modern games anyway).

What could work is running Windows versions of Steam and Cattle and Crops with CrossOver Mac (but no idea if it really does, we've never tried that).
  • @caedes Thanks for your reply! Then I have to look at programs like VMWare or Parallels who do support OpenGL 3.3. Crossover Mac does support Steam, but no idea if games like C&C will then also be supported and work in a playable way.

Wondering how you guys test, you never use virtual systems for that?
  • Virtual Machines are just not suitable for testing (high-end-ish) games. I doubt that VMWare or Parallels give you acceptable performance for Cattle and Crops, if you can get it to work at all.

We test on real hardware; I use (and develop) on Linux anyway, the others mostly use Windows.
    (We don't test on Macs, as they are currently not supported)

Why don't you want to try Crossover Mac (or maybe Wine which is free)? If you can get Cattle and Crops to work with it, it should yield much better performance than virtual machines that have to emulate a GPU.