Roadmap

• Im hoping this month for EA just for the sake of the community, which on the whole at the moment are currently positive. This month for me I would consider as being the end of the "few weeks" which MBB extended the release date by. It's got to be this month surely it won't be delayed for the second time, fingers crossed,
      The least I would hope we can expect to know is the release date for EA, I kinda get the feeling that eventually these updates will start to wear thin.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Paul91 ().

• Surprising how far gulls will venture inland. Our farm is close to a coast line so the above picture is common place.
      Always wondered how far inland they flew in search of a wormy takeway ....

A shout out to Diablo81 who has been tracking the current Early Access (EA) Progress. Vielen Dank fur alles Diablo81

We're inching closer folks ... but another few tins of Patience will be on the menu I reckon ....

S!
      Go Handy & Give 'er Lolly
    • you can find seagulls well in land in may places there are rivers, lakes, waterways, wetlands/marsh or rubbish landfill sites etc, but they tend to be only the smaller types of in-land gulls rather than the larger types you find in costal areas which actually venture out to sea.

but I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been ploughing/cultivating and had anything remotely close to the number of birds of any type as depicted, this is despite the UK being an island you are never more than ~75miles from the sea and that there are large numbers of in-land gulls locally to me with a major river (<1km), some fishing and irrigation lakes (natural and ex-quarries (2km to 8km)), 2 rubbish landfill sites (~8km east and ~7km west).

however the general lack of birds often when ploughing/cultivating maybe due to the abundance of feeding locations locally, and that a lot of field work tends to be done at near the same time across many local farms given weather and the predominantly arable land locally, but even so, most of the time when ploughing/cultivating the number of birds is closer to or is 0 than to 10, and if there are birds they tend to be hopping on the ground around 2 to 5 passes behind the pass I am on.
    • b101uk wrote:

you can find seagulls well in land in may places there are rivers, lakes, waterways, wetlands/marsh or rubbish landfill sites etc, but they tend to be only the smaller types of in-land gulls rather than the larger types you find in costal areas which actually venture out to sea.

but I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been ploughing/cultivating and had anything remotely close to the number of birds of any type as depicted, this is despite the UK being an island you are never more than ~75miles from the sea and that there are large numbers of in-land gulls locally to me with a major river (<1km), some fishing and irrigation lakes (natural and ex-quarries (2km to 8km)), 2 rubbish landfill sites (~8km east and ~7km west).

however the general lack of birds often when ploughing/cultivating maybe due to the abundance of feeding locations locally, and that a lot of field work tends to be done at near the same time across many local farms given weather and the predominantly arable land locally, but even so, most of the time when ploughing/cultivating the number of birds is closer to or is 0 than to 10, and if there are birds they tend to be hopping on the ground around 2 to 5 passes behind the pass I am on.
      Is there alot of worms in the soil? What's your organic matter status of your soil? Generally up here if you don't have seagulls, crows and buzzards in behind your plough it means your soil is in trouble... or your neighbour is also ploughing :P
    • Vanquish081 wrote:

It is good to know that the machinery will not get wet in the garages, but I'm more interested in knowing an date release for EA.
      I think we all want that. ;)

But as long as they keep us in the loop and/or feed us with information etc I'll be fine and I'm 99.998% certain that they'll release the game within the next 242 days or in other words before january 2018 :P

i5 4690k - 3,5 Ghz, EVGA gtx 1070 ftw hybrid - 8 gb vram, 16 gb 1600 Mhz ddr3 ram
    • ClumsyZombie wrote:

Vanquish081 wrote:

It is good to know that the machinery will not get wet in the garages, but I'm more interested in knowing an date release for EA.
      I 100% agree I would like to get my hands on the Beta Demo. ASAP i need a new game to play!!!!! Aren't we almost a month late on the release?
      Hi Clumsy .... hope you are doing well .... been a little while ....

yea ....it's already over the month now and I reckon there is another couple of weeks at least to go, based on the roadmap ... still within expectations for me ... I know they initially said March .... but when this hits, I hope it'll be solid and worth the extra wait.
    • one thing I have been thinking about for a while, that I would love to see in the game at some point, would be the weather acting according to the local weather where you are located translated into game according to what time of year it is in the game.

The way it would work is you enter in your region and then the game connects to the appropiate weather server and uses the info there to adjust the weather in the game.

Now writing a simple program that does that, will probably not be too hard, the hard part would be to have it change the weather according to real life temperatures, rain etc and then translate them into how it would look in the game according to what month you are in, in the game.

For an example, you are playing the game on the 26th of june and it's 30 C hot outside but in the game it's the 26th of december and well you can't have a temperature of 30 C in December in the northern hemisphere so the game would then have to translate that irl temp into game temp.

The way that would be done would be by looking at where is the player located and is that particular temperature high, normal or low for that region at that time of year(that part would most likely be predetermined in the game by dividing the world into larger regions and determining parameters for what a low, medium and high temperature is there) in this case 30 C is very hot so "high" which then means that the temperature in the game needs to be a higher temperature than normal So in our example 30C irl temp in june would translate to 8-10 C ingame temp in december. 20C irl would turn into 0C, 12C would turn into -8 and so on.

Now to make it a bit more complicated

If it's 30C irl and it's raining then it would e 8C in game and raining
      If it's 18C irl and raining then it would be -1C ingame and snowing

Now I know that something like that is very complicated to script and it's certainly not something I expect to see in the game at any point BUT it would still be pretty neat.

i5 4690k - 3,5 Ghz, EVGA gtx 1070 ftw hybrid - 8 gb vram, 16 gb 1600 Mhz ddr3 ram
    • @Jeytav

It's already in there. This is from the crowdfunding description:

"With the CnC weather system being based on real statistical climate data, each map’s weather is very accurate for each season. Weather has a direct influence on the ground, so depending on the machinery you use, you might get stuck in muddy fields after long rains if you’re not careful. Long periods of drought or rain will also influence your farming strategies: if there is no rain you have to find a way to water your fields; if there is too much rain you may have difficulties harvesting your crops.

As with most gameplay settings, the influence of weather and diseases can be customized or disabled fully in the gameplay options."

I can't find it now, but the weather is based on global weather statistics from all around the world, so you should be able to get the weather in you local area.
    • Jeytav wrote:

one thing I have been thinking about for a while, that I would love to see in the game at some point, would be the weather acting according to the local weather where you are located translated into game according to what time of year it is in the game.

The way it would work is you enter in your region and then the game connects to the appropiate weather server and uses the info there to adjust the weather in the game.

Now writing a simple program that does that, will probably not be too hard, the hard part would be to have it change the weather according to real life temperatures, rain etc and then translate them into how it would look in the game according to what month you are in, in the game.

For an example, you are playing the game on the 26th of june and it's 30 C hot outside but in the game it's the 26th of december and well you can't have a temperature of 30 C in December in the northern hemisphere so the game would then have to translate that irl temp into game temp.

The way that would be done would be by looking at where is the player located and is that particular temperature high, normal or low for that region at that time of year(that part would most likely be predetermined in the game by dividing the world into larger regions and determining parameters for what a low, medium and high temperature is there) in this case 30 C is very hot so "high" which then means that the temperature in the game needs to be a higher temperature than normal So in our example 30C irl temp in june would translate to 8-10 C ingame temp in december. 20C irl would turn into 0C, 12C would turn into -8 and so on.

Now I know that something like that is very complicated to script and it's certainly not something I expect to see in the game at any point BUT it would still be pretty neat.

there are plenty of METAR and TAF outputs from airports around the world and locally to many people, which can be pulled for free

e.g. my local METAR
      031650Z 05014KT 9999 BKN045 14/03 Q1024 BLU NOSIG
      (DATE/TIME - WIND - VISIBILITY - CLOUD - TEMPERATURE - PRESSURE - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - TREND FORECAST)

which translates to:
      date/time = 031650Z (03rd 16:50 Zulu/GMT/UTC)
      surface wind = 05014KT (050deg at 14kts)
      visibility = >9999m
      cloud = BKN045 (broken at 4500ft)
      temperature = 14/03 (14C, dew-point 3C)
      barometric pressure = Q1024 (1024mb, 30.24in hg)

BLU = military shorthand "blue conditions" much like CAVOK (Cloud and Visibility OK) = >8km visibility, >2500ft cloud base above the runway.

there is also a lot of historical METAR and TAF out there too, so you can build image of expectant weather/temperature vs time which could be used to perturb the currant IRL weather/temperature so it fits with that of the date/time in game (i.e. make May 3rds IRL weather/temperature fit to that of Jan 15th weather/temperature, or Aug 8th in game)

some other e.g.
      Frankfurt-Hahn
      031720Z 10007KT 9999 SCT020 SCT037 10/06 Q1017
    • ChiloopaBatman wrote:

@Jeytav

"With the CnC weather system being based on real statistical climate data, each map’s weather is very accurate for each season. Weather has a direct influence on the ground, so depending on the machinery you use, you might get stuck in muddy fields after long rains if you’re not careful. Long periods of drought or rain will also influence your farming strategies: if there is no rain you have to find a way to water your fields; if there is too much rain you may have difficulties harvesting your crops.

As with most gameplay settings, the influence of weather and diseases can be customized or disabled fully in the gameplay options."

I can't find it now, but the weather is based on global weather statistics from all around the world, so you should be able to get the weather in you local area.

he is referring to using currant IRL weather data, then perturbing that to fit the date in game, which is different to what you are quoting, though both are using historic data.
    • ChiloopaBatman wrote:

@Jeytav

Yep I have seen that too and yes if something like that has been integrated into the game then it should be a small task to extend it to grab data from your local area and translate it into relevant ingame weather data according to the ingame time and date

b101uk wrote:

Jeytav wrote:

Display Spoiler
      one thing I have been thinking about for a while, that I would love to see in the game at some point, would be the weather acting according to the local weather where you are located translated into game according to what time of year it is in the game.

Display Spoiler
      there are plenty of METAR and TAF outputs from airports around the world and locally to many people, which can be pulled for free

e.g. my local METAR
      031650Z 05014KT 9999 BKN045 14/03 Q1024 BLU NOSIG
      (DATE/TIME - WIND - VISIBILITY - CLOUD - TEMPERATURE - PRESSURE - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - TREND FORECAST)

which translates to:
      date/time = 031650Z (03rd 16:50 Zulu/GMT/UTC)
      surface wind = 05014KT (050deg at 14kts)
      visibility = >9999m
      cloud = BKN045 (broken at 4500ft)
      temperature = 14/03 (14C, dew-point 3C)
      barometric pressure = Q1024 (1024mb, 30.24in hg)

BLU = military shorthand "blue conditions" much like CAVOK (Cloud and Visibility OK) = >8km visibility, >2500ft cloud base above the runway.

there is also a lot of historical METAR and TAF out there too, so you can build image of expectant weather/temperature vs time which could be used to perturb the currant IRL weather/temperature so it fits with that of the date/time in game (i.e. make May 3rds IRL weather/temperature fit to that of Jan 15th weather/temperature, or Aug 8th in game)

some other e.g.
      Frankfurt-Hahn
      031720Z 10007KT 9999 SCT020 SCT037 10/06 Q1017

Exactly, there are plenty of meteorological servers out there that lets you hook onto their servers and access current and future weather data.

• If the ingame weather mimics the time of year based of irl stats, why would you need it to translate the weather for when and wherever you are irl? If you set up the correct region you play ingame it should be realistic enough. It seems kind of redundant or am I missing something? I mean: If you play multiple days ingame, then it wouldn't make much sense to have irl weather and ingame weather linked to each other, or have I completely misunderstood your point? :)

Edit: I don't mean to put your idea down, I'm just trying to understand :)
    • ChiloopaBatman wrote:

If the ingame weather mimics the time of year based of irl stats, why would you need it to translate the weather for when and wherever you are irl? If you set up the correct region you play ingame it should be realistic enough. It seems kind of redundant or am I missing something? I mean: If you play multiple days ingame, then it wouldn't make much sense to have irl weather and ingame weather linked to each other, or have I completely misunderstood your point? :)

Edit: I don't mean to put your idea down, I'm just trying to understand :)
      The key word there is IF. It could also just be that they pulled data from several years in the past, put the data into the game and then the game randomly picks between the days/weeks/months/years as the weather for that day/week/month/year.

Yes you'll probably play multiple days ingame in a single game session but there is 2 ways to look at that

1: you play several ingame days with the sameish weather(which is pretty much how it works irl anyways you have several days with the same kind of weather, - at least where I'm from -)

2: when you load up your savegame, the game registers how the coming weeks weather is going to be for you irl(or the next 14 days) and then just uses that as the weather for the coming weeks/days in your current game session. Then when you save and quit and load up the game the next day it checks if there has been any changes and if there has it then makes the necessary changes to those days but besides that it all stays the same.

Example: I load up a new career today and according to my local weather report it's going to be sunny with a few clouds, highest temp at 15°C no rain and a windspeed at 8 m/s coming from the east. tomorrow it's sunny with more clouds, 12°C, wind 8 m/s NE, Friday Sunny with few clouds, 15°C, winds 7 m/s NW. Saturday, Sunday and Monday can be seen below. The game now takes that weather data translates it into the game so it displays correctly according to what time of year the game starts/is at let's just say it's May 3th in the game just like it is irl, the game will then use that data for the next 5 days(there is a 15 day weather prediction but it's not displaying correctly atm) Lets say I play a few ingame days this session, Friday at 20:00 ingame I save and close the game, I then return to the game in 2 days(Friday irl) now what the game does is it checks the current weather prediction for the next 5-15 days and makes ingame changes to my current ingame weather data app by adding the new days and changing those days where the predictions has changed. Let's say that the weather for saturday has changes from: Sunny no clouds, 20°C, 4 m/s N. To Heavy Rain clouds, 15°C, 20 m/s W. This means that the game will now change it from the nice sunny weather to the well not nearly as nice and sunny weather IN THE GAME.

To me the second options would be best and if you play for let's say 2 month ingame time in one session then all the game needs to do is change from irl weather(once the 15 irl weather predicted days has passed ingame)to stock ingame weather. Let's say that the next 15 days irl will look like the 6 days down below and I play the game for 5 ingame days and then skip 1 month then all the game needs to do is generate a new weather map using the stock weather data once I'm done fast forwarding and then use that weather until changes happens to the irl weather report

Phew i hope this makes a bit more sense :) a ton of words but well once I get going on writing something there is no stopping me :P

• Jeytav wrote:

Phew i hope this makes a bit more sense :) a ton of words but well once I get going on writing something there is no stopping me :P
      haha, no worries mate :) I think I get the idea now. I'm from Denmark too and the weather is pretty shifty here. Sometimes it changes multiple times in a day, but you already know that ;)

I like the basic idea and if I understand you right, the challenge is that you can't trust the weather forecast 100% (In Denmark it's like 40%, haha). I think it's easier to program that into the vanilla game, so if you play in Denmark or Norther Germany, the weather will be shifty and the weather forecast can change on a daily basis. That could be pretty cool and I think it's possible to do.

"If you don't like the danish weather, just wait 5 minutes" ;) (Unless it's in the winter, then it's always shit, haha)
    • some things to keep in mind, historic data which you would use to build weather trends for a year would be subject to interpolation, which can remove many edge-cases and exceptions, whereas introducing some "live" numbers in place of element your would otherwise use RNG for could produce smoother transitions.

likewise historic weather expressed in numbers can depart from reality quite a bit and be colder, as e.g. the long-term temperature average from e.g. 1970 to 1999 is somewhat different to that of the same numbers from 1980 to 2009, which differ again from e.g. 1997 to 2017.

take METAR, most of the time its updated every 1 to 2 hours 24h per day, 365 days per year, and things like atmospheric pressure can change quite quickly, or trend up or down, temperature can rise at night even though its dark and be warmer than it was in the afternoon, and cloud cover can ebb and flow during a single IRL day

something else you could potentially do is transpose live data from somewhere else, e.g. picking a METAR station in southern France or Northern Spain could give your German C&C farm a different experience to if you picked southern Norway or central Sweden, even though the background historical data is that of central or northern Germany which still perturbs live data from having -30c in the summer or +30C in the winter, i.e. the former would be on average hotter and dryer with fewer instances of rain and snow, the latter would be on average cooler/wetter with more instances of rain and snow.

using live data is not just about looking out of your window then looking at your screen and seeing much the same thing when farming at x1 speed (which is one of the more obvious reasons for live data flight sims), but its also about using live data in place of some RNG elements, even though you have sped-up time.

you then have the mischievous and silly uses, is hurricane X going to make landfall in Florida in 5 hours time, then you better have a tight hold on your lederhosen if you select Miami international airport as the METAR feed then.

something else that could be done is use between 5 and 9 METAR feed in total, the primary METAR feed being the true location of the farm, the other 4 or 8 being METAR feeds from other stations >100km radius away approximating the cardinal/intercardinal positions (North, NE, East, SE, South, SW, West, NW) geographically from the primary METAR feed, which would allow other IRL feeds to perturb things still further, which would be helpful when time is sped-up
    • @b101uk

If that's even possible to implement, it would be really, REALLY cool! Especially if it can bring anomalies into the equation. E.g this year in Denmark we've had the warmest month of March ever recorded, but we've also had one of the coldest Aprils in history. That will no doubt effect growth and yield and that kind of detail would be really interesting.

It might be asking a lot, taking in mind that bringing seasons into a game like this is a huge thing. But I really like this idea and it will make the game even more challenging for us who likes that.
    • .... Isn't this getting a little complicated? and shouldn't the weather be based on where the map is based rather than where the user is? I'm not planning on playing the game day to day I want to be able to play multiple years quickly i'm not waiting 4 months to do the harvest. I don't even know why you would even want it.
      That's why i enjoy playing FS because when it is cold and wet and miserable dark winter night i can be doing the harvest in the forever sunshine :P
    • JohnKalel: you're right, thats why MBB announced multiple settings of the game - arcade, sim, hardcore sim (that's what I expect :-)).

There are lots of oppinions for a game play style. I can describe my own way how I played last time FS 15 (it's been more 1 year ago).
      As I had less free time, I was able to play just several hours a day at the evenings / nights (it has changed, when my son was born). That was also the reason why I stopped to play MP - FS 15 with my group (Nonstopserver team).
      So I changed my gameplay style, to do slowly fieldworks which correspond with actual year season, evening by evening. Sometimes I couldn't play whole week, even so I had enough time to complete all neccessary works (ploughing and cultivating all fields during autumn/spring time, etc.). The only problem of FS was, I had to keep the time still in one time (return time through console, because FS game was set to crops grow in 4 days).

Someone could say, I'm crazy, but it was good for me. On one hand I closed more to reality and on the other hand I had enough space to do something each day. If one played activelly MP even SP, it started to be boring, due to fast activity rotation (you could prepare seed bed, seed, harvest and plough or cultivate again in one or two, max. in four real days) and if U do it multipple times in the row (alone), it starts to be weary. That's for small explanation. And at last, when I found out info about CnC, I stopped to play FS deffnitely.

Seasons time extension will be good in CnC at least for SP, I would say. Perhaps in MP would it have to be different, due to entertainment, or based on how often could team members play. It will be based on host settings. But there is too early to speculate about MP right now :) .

I also agree with idea of weather conversion from real. It's great idea. I've never played any fly sim, so mates who wrote above, has more experience with it. So I better let specific ideas / suggestions how to do it at them ;)

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
      GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
      GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
      RAM - 8 GB
      Win 7 64bit

The post was edited 4 times, last by Dylan81 ().

• JohnKalel wrote:

.... Isn't this getting a little complicated? and shouldn't the weather be based on where the map is based rather than where the user is? I'm not planning on playing the game day to day I want to be able to play multiple years quickly i'm not waiting 4 months to do the harvest. I don't even know why you would even want it.
      That's why i enjoy playing FS because when it is cold and wet and miserable dark winter night i can be doing the harvest in the forever sunshine :P
      yes it would be getting more complicated in some ways.

and yes the underlying historic data should be based on where the farm is.

but in the main we/I are not suggesting waiting >4months (IRL time) to make your first harvest so you can experience near day by day IRL weather at x1 speed.

its more about using some IRL elements as reported to perturb weather in-game by replacing some of the RNG elements.

e.g. IRL wind direction and speed can change quite a lot over 1 IRL day, as can cloud cover and layers of cloud, which would give 12 data points per 24h IRL, the 12 data points if time was sped-up could produce 12 slightly different years, if you did 12 years of work in-game over a 24h period.

likewise the trend in atmospheric pressure over the same 1 IRL day, could also further perturb slightly each "year" of the 12 years sped-up time in-game.

granted temperature as reported is more tricky, because you cannot apply e.g. the reported temperature on Jan 18th at 4am local IRL time directly to Aug 3rd at 1:30pm in-game time, but you can in conjunction with historic data take the currant reported temperature for Jan 18th at 4am local IRL and see if its cooler or hotter than the historic data for Jan 18th at "about" 4am, if its +2C warmer then your August 3rd in-game or your whole August in-game (dependent on the currently selected game speed) could be 2C hotter than the historic average data August 3rd/August with all the advantage and disadvantage that brings with respect to gameplay, on the other hand it could be 5C cooler than the historic data for Jan 18th at "about" 4am, it could also be raining too, so you get a cooler wet August 3rd or entire August in-game (dependent on game speed).

likewise I am also NOT suggesting it should be forced on people, because it could make for more challenging farming in-game with greater chance of crop loss, field damage (wheel ruts etc) which create extra work, or late planting due to overall field wetness or even bankruptcy in extreme cases.
    • Love all the responses :D

Yes there are many aspects to look into if you want to make something like this, one depending on how hardcore a player wants to be, if you just want to play it more arcade'ish by having the ability to speed up time when ever you want, then you can disable live weather and just use the stock rng weather. If you want to play a bit more realistic but still keeping it a bit more simple then you can activate the live weather but have it be a bit more flexible like I mentioned earlier by using irl weather until you move past the current prediction in which case it switches over to stock rng weather. Last option is true realism where you play the game following IRL seasons.

A small note to my idea: You could also have the game use the irl weather in your region as a part of the stock weather meaning it simply adds the irl weather report inn conjuction with the stock weather so that the weather in game is both influenced by irl and stock weather by using rng.

As for the question about using local irl weather in a map thats located in another part of the world, I would just say that, that's totally up to the player, you can stick with the stock weather for that map, you can use the irl weather from your region or you can use the irl weather from the region where the map is based on.

• Let me add some imagination. Lets say for example, you can play only at the evenings so the time souldn't correspond with the real one. This we coincide.

Another idea: you are playing 3 hours of real time at the evening (if is it on hard style, lets say there will be 1:1 ratio), so 3 hours also in the game. It's for example sunny morning in the game, some weather and temperature according to game year season. Than you will save it, and return next day evening and play on. If the weather should converse from actual real time, it become strange, because there could come situation, that when you saved the game you have sunny morning, and when you come next day and load it, it would rain.

So as was said above, the weather and temperatures within the game should be soluted according some average historical survey according to local area where the farm is placed. Or according to Jeytav's idea, written above.
      I think there would be a little problem to converse the weather and temperature from immediate real time, but maybe I only understand IRL system and ideas mentioned above wrong.

It would be able only to have it max. real, if the game goes nonstop, without savings and 1:1 ratio to real time. Which is for many of us unreal to play. Many of us, including me would have to harvest in the night :) .

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
      GPU Type - Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 280X 3,072 GB GDDR5
      GPU Driver - Radeon Software Version 17.12.1
      RAM - 8 GB
      Win 7 64bit

The post was edited 5 times, last by Dylan81 ().

• Seb73 wrote:

Good evening everyone
      I was wondering, according to you, when the EA goes out?
      Attention I am patien and I fully understand the descent of the developers it is just to get an idea ;)
      Hopefully they'll announce the release date tomorrow(making the release date late may) if not then next Friday otherwise it needs to be out in June

• maybe we will get an updated roadmap tomorrow, which should make things a little clearer, and who knows maybe MBB may feel they are in a better position to give an estimated date.

I cant help thinking some of the delay for the EA has been because of the popularity and thus the natural apprehension MBB would have that there are an increased percent of people who may have an unrealistic expectation of what "Early Access" is as far as optimisation, functionality, yet to be added things, and workaround's that have to be employed at an alpha stage that are part and parcel of iterative development.

in other words had the number of people not exceeded MBB's expectations, the EA may have been here sooner because on the whole the percent of people who may have an unrealistic expectation of what "Early Access" is would be smaller.
    • That could be the case but when the roadmap was finally released it was clear that the game was far from ready to be released even as an EA, it could be tested by a small group of testers but it would've only hurt them it they released it for the public back then. It's another story now, The majority of the milestones are ready and the few that's left are not important(not counting download server and steam support here and dynamic fillplanes) but the rest could wait.

But in any case it's up to the devs to decide when it's ready for release

• Jeytav wrote:

That could be the case but when the roadmap was finally released it was clear that the game was far from ready to be released even as an EA, it could be tested by a small group of testers but it would've only hurt them it they released it for the public back then. It's another story now, The majority of the milestones are ready and the few that's left are not important(not counting download server and steam support here and dynamic fillplanes) but the rest could wait.

You are highlighting a very important thing...
      For many people Early Access mean "Yehhh, i can play sooon" but is not at all the original goal.
      EA is like a Beta version made for showing bugs, crash, errors, ...

So, don't be afraid. CnC EA is coming soon but with many many problems. The original goal is correcting that before the final release.
      Life is short, play more.
    • b101uk wrote:

maybe we will get an updated roadmap tomorrow, which should make things a little clearer, and who knows maybe MBB may feel they are in a better position to give an estimated date.

I cant help thinking some of the delay for the EA has been because of the popularity and thus the natural apprehension MBB would have that there are an increased percent of people who may have an unrealistic expectation of what "Early Access" is as far as optimisation, functionality, yet to be added things, and workaround's that have to be employed at an alpha stage that are part and parcel of iterative development.

in other words had the number of people not exceeded MBB's expectations, the EA may have been here sooner because on the whole the percent of people who may have an unrealistic expectation of what "Early Access" is would be smaller.

Jeytav wrote:

That could be the case but when the roadmap was finally released it was clear that the game was far from ready to be released even as an EA, it could be tested by a small group of testers but it would've only hurt them it they released it for the public back then. It's another story now, The majority of the milestones are ready and the few that's left are not important(not counting download server and steam support here and dynamic fillplanes) but the rest could wait.

MBB seems quite a different kettle of fish in terms of their marketing and community facing side.

There have been a few quite catchy images and short videos nuggets of information which have captured the attention of us all ... but they avoid the usual over hype style and if anything, have to answer to the charge of being too quiet almost.

In the face of the, high volume, low quality marketing spam we're used to ... this is unnerving to start with but (and it's premature to say this I know) I think it will prove refreshing once they release the full game at the end of the year.

Note: I place no judgement on early access out of principle.

I agree with b101uk, I think they seem very careful with expectations and have the strength to hold off over stating anything .... almost feels like too much sometimes but longer term, likely a good thing I reckon.

The roadmap announcement is a ballsy thing to do. (The oft mentioned Star Citizen was almost forced into doing the same given their development schedule and their community). MBB got ahead of the curve there and have offered this as their community engagement face.

They seem to have decided on the roadmap over the wordy updates.
      Some of these are good though often they become just space fillers which, although comforting, are low on value too

How many times to say the same thing ....(reference SC ... not for the last time ...LOL).

Personally, I appreciate this roadmap solution very much.

I would say, I think the wordy stuff can be over done (reference SC again) and MBB are in no risk of getting close to making that mistake.

All that said, a little note once in a while will warm the cockles of the hearts of the many.

Pssssst (the sound of another can of patience opening ..... gulp!
    • 'JackWall'

You are bringing up a very good point here. The fact that MBB haven't done som big marketing campaign ensures me that this is a passion project and not a cash grab. They haven't done anything, besides the kickstarter campaign, to promote the game. If they wanted to trick people and maximize profit, you would get people all hyped up and bring as many people in as possible and fast. They haven't done that and that is assuring me that we will get a great game from these guys and that our money is spend well.
    • Yep they are going a different way than other devs do when it comes to marketing and communicating with their costumers.

I still stand by the fact that a bit more communication wouldn't hurt but I also know that by not hypeing up the game they wont end up hurting themselves because it doesn't live up to expectations. There will always be those who gets upset about something but it's far better than delivering a product that only lives up to 10% of the hype rather than 90%

And yes @ArMaTa you are absolutely right :)

Edit: Totally forgot @masterbrain I'm thinking a picture of some of the machines like 2 tractors with trailers and the forage harvester placed in the court yard would be a nice picture to have as a wallpaper on my desktop ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jeytav ().