Will be the mods protected/encrypted?

• Vanquish081 wrote:

Hello, I would like to know if the mods can be protected so that only the author can edit and update them.
      Out of curiosity, what would be the point of that? I associate "protecting" software with obfuscation, which in turn I associate with either
      • the intent to make money off of said software or
      • a way to hide poor implementation of that software.
      I don't expect that there would be much of a market for paid mods (obviously, I could be wrong on that), and if your mod is poorly made, I don't want to play it.

Might as well be I'm missing another source of motivation to "protect" mods.
    • No i am essentially against this!

Modders claiming their work and Modifications as only editable/useable by themselfes is one of the mainproblems of Giants-FS!

As i'Ve written, since the first day i am here especially for modding!
      I already asked MBB multiple times if it is allowed/accepted to start a topic about modding.
      Me was given the answer to wait until EA starts and Modders Forum goes online!

Since then i am waiting and i expect to others do so too!
      So please delete/close this thread.

Stay kind and fair!

And better think twice before requesting such things!
      Mit freundlichen Grüßen MB-M@x von Schwabenmodding.de

PS An alle Nutzer der Kommentar-"Gefällt mir"-Funktion, die eine negative Wertung zu einem meiner Kommentare abgeben möchten: Bitte schreibt eine Begründung solange ich keine beleidigende oder verletzende Aussage getroffen habe, die Qualität meiner Kommentare rechtfertigt eine begründete Stellungnahme! Danke im Voraus.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MB-M@x ().

• Koala wrote:

Vanquish081 wrote:

Hello, I would like to know if the mods can be protected so that only the author can edit and update them.
      Out of curiosity, what would be the point of that? I associate "protecting" software with obfuscation, which in turn I associate with either
      I don't expect that there would be much of a market for paid mods (obviously, I could be wrong on that), and if your mod is poorly made, I don't want to play it.

The OP is a spanish youtuber, as you can see he already shows his social media... and I'm pretty sure he's asking that just to try to make money with mods.

This is just his third post and he is asking this kind of questions.

So yes I think this thread should be close!
    • Koala wrote:

The intention is that other people do not edit my mod and upload it to other websites as their creation

MB-M@x wrote:

No i am essentially against this!

Modders claiming their work and Modifications as only editable/useable by themselfes is one of the mainproblems of Giants-FS!

As i'Ve written, since the first day i am here especially for modding!
      I already asked MBB multiple times if it is allowed/accepted to start a topic about modding.
      Me was given the answer to wait until EA starts and Modders Forum goes online!

Since then i am waiting and i expect to others do so too!
      So please delete/close this thread.

Stay kind and fair!

And better think twice before requesting such things!
      The intention is that other people do not edit my mod and upload it to other websites as their creation

Adri91 wrote:

The OP is a spanish youtuber, as you can see he already shows his social media... and I'm pretty sure he's asking that just to try to make money with mods.
      This is just his third post and he is asking this kind of questions.

So yes I think this thread should be close!
      The intention is that other people do not edit my mod and upload it to other websites as their creation. I'm little youtuber, little modders and what makes me more angry is to upload my mods to other web sites without my permission.

The 3 are very very wrong. Adri91 you are the most wrong.

The steam workshop should be enabled for this game for limit the use inappropriate and take away the merit of the actual author of the mod.

This thread is a serious issue, surely you have noticed a noticeable decrease in the publication of mods for FS17, the modders are tired of being robbed of their work and published on other websites without its original link.
      Amazing the speed in this proyect.... 0_0
    • yeah and to be honest im a modder since FS08 and my big goal is it, to fucking stop this politics of "owning" a mod.
      to be honest im pissed of you by just writing :

Vanquish081 wrote:

Me and other modders are tired of fools who think that it is only their own property after the initial release and to be honset what you better should look to achieve is not a locked mod in kind of locking it up with a keycode/encryption

but what you would need will be a game, that only allows downloading official singned mods.
      but you'll never get rid of that or you'll destroy modding in every way.

we should better work on a new understanding of modding and that is proper sharing/writing of credits, proper working in kind of cooperating together, and proper allowing of modifying mods of others.

what do you think how the current big modders started? like all, by editing other modders mods.

so you are trying to kill the roots and that is the absolute fault.

as i said im going to give it a try to achieve the absolute opposite of your whish, thats what i came for and invested in the game.

PS An alle Nutzer der Kommentar-"Gefällt mir"-Funktion, die eine negative Wertung zu einem meiner Kommentare abgeben möchten: Bitte schreibt eine Begründung solange ich keine beleidigende oder verletzende Aussage getroffen habe, die Qualität meiner Kommentare rechtfertigt eine begründete Stellungnahme! Danke im Voraus.
    • you think i am writing useless words? no im sure they are not useless.

you should recognize while i am even pissed about kiddos reupinng your own mods, im also angry about modders,
      who are giving always the answer no if you even ask them with all respect etc to modify their work.

do you know how many mods were not released due to this selfish thinking?

im so tired of this, i hope, that in future there wont be the need to ask for recreation, or things like this.

modding is not for earning money it is only for hightening the experience. so there should be no need to have a mod hosted by your own if you ask me!

• could you please rewrite your last sentence so that i can understand your intention?

• I understood Vanquish in this way: He doesn't want someone to take his mod, write his own name as the author in the unchanged mod and upload it - so noone would know, who really wrote the mod, people would think, the "thief" would be the author or creator of the mod (remember: the thief didn't change anything in the mod, only the credits).

Is it, what you meant? Otherwise I would have to agree with MB-M@x...
    • In ETS2 and ATS people lock their mods, makes me not wanna use the mod cause yes i adjust hem, no i do not re-upload them. I do it for myself and if a mod would be locked or protected that would make sure I wont be using the mod.

Paying for mods is something i never done and never will do simply for 2 reasons :
      1 i dont have the money for that to keep paying
      2. you already pay fo the game how fair is it if a modmaker is gonna ask money for a mod for a game you paid and make money with it.

I miss the times that used to be share the fun and share the knowledge with the community and have respect for each other, It is only bashing and trashing out of what jalousy cause someone can make something that ohters like and wanna use or find it useful.

Protecting mods will make it even worse.
      The way I read the question is he wants to know if he gets control of his mods to protect them from people re-uploading and claiming to be theirs and not give credit to original author.

My advice if you dont want that : dont share your mods keep them for yourself.
    • Rummsbosch wrote:

I understood Vanquish in this way: He doesn't want someone to take his mod, write his own name as the author in the unchanged mod and upload it - so noone would know, who really wrote the mod, people would think, the "thief" would be the author or creator of the mod (remember: the thief didn't change anything in the mod, only the credits).

Is it, what you meant? Otherwise I would have to agree with MB-M@x...
      Yes, that's what I mean
      Amazing the speed in this proyect.... 0_0
    • I think you need to abandon the idea you own a mod when you make it. When someone download a mod he is happy to get it and it doesnt matter who made it. When you upload a mod, you must be happy that lots of ppl can use it, and some guys will make shitty edits of it. Other will make a nice conversion from it. Be happy with it.
      There are some ppl modding in fs17/15 who only edit mods, make nice edits, show pics of them and get angry when ppl ask if they get released. Its like showing kids lots of candy's but dont give them any.
      I never released a mod, but i've some drawings finished. When i release my mods, everyone may edit them, im happy ppl use them so i didnt waste my time when drawing them...
      We need a new attitude in my opinion. Not that of always complaining guys use your mod or upload them, but of being happy your mod IS used!
      (sorry for my bad english :p)
    • Thx thats my point of view ;)

• 20mmNormandy wrote:

I think you need to abandon the idea you own a mod when you make it. When someone download a mod he is happy to get it and it doesnt matter who made it. When you upload a mod, you must be happy that lots of ppl can use it, and some guys will make shitty edits of it. Other will make a nice conversion from it. Be happy with it.
      There are some ppl modding in fs17/15 who only edit mods, make nice edits, show pics of them and get angry when ppl ask if they get released. Its like showing kids lots of candy's but dont give them any.
      I never released a mod, but i've some drawings finished. When i release my mods, everyone may edit them, im happy ppl use them so i didnt waste my time when drawing them...
      We need a new attitude in my opinion. Not that of always complaining guys use your mod or upload them, but of being happy your mod IS used!
      (sorry for my bad english :p)
      Big big yes and like for this comment! All you wrote is completly true! I am sure lots of people will agree with you.
    • The main problem in the FS community, is that it is so big and there are SO many sources/sites to get mods from. A lot of people found out, that this gives a ton of traffic to their sites, hence they let anyone upload anything.

Personally, I only get my mods from 3-5 sites in total, always looking for the original uploads, cause then I know it is up to date and such.

Another game that has a huge modding community, and have nailed this problem, is Kerbal Space Program. Here, modders respect each other and always credit, when due. The official forum, is the main source of mods and their development and none are closed off, as all the source needs to be public. All mods also require a licens to be stated, and such, it is the creator's choice what license to use. The community respect these, as without the go-ahead either from the author or the licens, a mod can and will die out, if the creator is unavailable to maintain it.

Due to the sheer size of the community and "hype" I guess, of farming sim-games, this task is virtually impossible, as of current methods of sharing mods.

CnC could adopt some of the same aspects of mod-creation and sharing, making the official game forums the place to read up on mods and their development, for modders to create a community where they help each other out with understanding the API, creating new and awesome scripts, etc.

But it all boils down to the community. Modders need to respect each other and their work, be happy someone is actually using the awesome content they create and not be greedy. The mod-users on the other hand needs to understand how much time, people throw into modding stuff and creating new content (And that it's very often, without any form of pay), as well as not be greedy and just want more.

I can also imagine, that a catalyst for this behaviour, has been the big difference in quality of FS mods in the past. Take Claas or JD tractors in FS15. I seem to remember, that you had to look far and wide for any, and if you found one, it was usually of very poor quality. But it was all that was there, and the next mod over, was of even worse quality.

Just my .2€, from having played many games with mods over the years.

TL;DR:
      If you want to "fix" your problem, locking your content is not the way. Having a single place to get the mods, read up on the mods and share your development of said mods, is the way to go. Users will know where to get the right mods, from the right owner, and you can show and tell all you want in the process, as well as get at least some constructive feedback from the people that uses your mods.
    • Thx for writing your comment and adding another point to my opinion: the key lies in the hands of the com with cooperating and constructing together!

I hope that we are not the only ones and that we may achieve it once, to spread our kind of believing how this big problem could be solved or at least worked on ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by MB-M@x ().

• I'm new here. And I see good points on both sides of the discussion.

I haven't made mods for Farming Sim, but I've made some for Train Fever and Transport Fever.
      It takes days and weeks to complete a mod. And then the players discover issues you've not discovered or even thought about during the creation of the mod, and you need to figure: how much time does it take to fix the issue, and is it worth it? Is it a functional feature or just cosmetic?

Of course we all strive to make the mods both look and function as close to reality as we can within the boundaries of the game engine. But it takes time.

I've published my Transport Fever mods on the Steam workshop. This ensures the end user that the mod is ALWAYS up to date. This ensures that when I am contacted by a player, he is using the latest available version so I don't have to figure out "did he use v 1.03 or v 1.45?"

Some of my mods started popping up on a website where the owner of the site earned money for banners and clicks and what not, and used a different download site which also had banners and monetization per click. It had nearly as many downloads as my mods on the Steam page - where I for the record also had a Paypal donate button.

How many donations have I received of the 50.000+ downloads? None. How much do you think that guy is earning by all those clicks? A bit more than nothing. I'm not here for the money, but it's discouraging to say the least.

Owning a mod? I'd say you own the rights to decide what happens with the published mod. After all you made the 3D model and textures. For all I care, you could be selling the model on Turbosquid or so and leave it at that, and leave it up to someone else to make a functioning mod.

So here's an idea I got from reading the previous posts: When the mod is packaged for download (most likely with the modding tools, if there are any official tools), it should produce a hash code.

If someone have adjusted stats or added something to the mod there will be a mismatch between the original and altered hash code, which will raise a red flag, thus only the original creator can publish the mod - but the end user is free to adjust as he or she wants, but only for their own use.
      Workstation: i7 5960x | 128GB RAM | GTX 1080
      HP Omen Laptop: i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070

The post was edited 1 time, last by OlaHaldor ().

• Theres a number of times I have found a mod I loved, one that has been discontinued. It hasn't been remade or updated so it all comes down to protection.
      In one instance its protected. I cant do anything with it to fix it or get it working. I just have to give up and be disappointed.
      In the other instance its not protected. I start googling stuff and putting long hours into getting it working for myself and my friends. I never upload it or link it outside my small group that plays multiplayer.

Mods can make or break a game.
      Sometimes a mod can add so much that once it dies, you cant play without it. It kills the game for you. So you stop playing it.

Donation links are great. It means if you have the $ spare you can show your appreciation for the work by passing a few $ in their direction. But the mods are free for everyone. Lack of protection means if a mod is amazing but no longer kept up to date someone else may pick it and add it to theirs, now the author has his/her name in the new mod credits and that name is carried on.
      Protection or paid only mods is a dark path 99% of people hope never happens to their beloved game. Think of how many games came out of mods and how many of those were copies or tweaks of others.

I'm glad this is a one sided discussion in the right direction.
    • I think the OP's question was really concerning sites that use third party hosting such as uploaded etc. where the person who uploads it (who isn't the mod maker) gets paid for every time that mod is downloaded, now that's unfair on the original mod maker.

You might think how much can one person make from such behaviour but I personally have seen on an FS mod site where one member has over 8 million downloads to his credit, each one paying something. Don't forget that this member has never made a mod in his life and is quite happy to boast that he makes a living from uploading other peoples work to hosting sites and collecting the fees.

Players continue to go these sites because they can find all the best mods in one place but they don't realize just how much these criminals are earning by stealing other peoples work and profiteering from it.

I don't know what the answer is but I'm sure I wouldn't like to spend months creating something from nothing just to know someone is going to steal my work and make money from it. Perhaps the guys at MBB will find a solution?

John
    • The answer is as simple as that. You just mentioned the solution.

BigJohnnyD wrote:

Players continue to go these sites because they can find all the best mods in one place but they don't realize just how much these criminals are earning by stealing other peoples work and profiteering from it.
      Scroll up and read the post by BamseTD.

I agree its unfair to have people profit of other peoples work. But its a simple solution.
    • OlaHaldor wrote:

How many in this thread have made an original mod?
      I have never made an original mod from scratch because I don't have talent to model a box. Nor do I have the talent to make any code that would be usable for anything. But I have put alot of hours into taking very crappy made mods and turning them into works of arts. Well at least to myself. I often finding myself spending more time tinkering and polishing a mod then I do playing the game.

I have 10gigs worth of mods that I have worked on for FS17 alone (not one of them is a map), most of them I take a few pieces from one mod and splice it with another mod to get something that will work and do what it was originally suppose to do but better. But not a single one will ever be shared online or with anyone, its takes way to much time to track down the real author of a mod, expecially when alot of mods are just converts from previous versions of a game.

So I fully agree that no one person owns a mod once its uploaded to the net, credits do need to be shared and respected.
      I Don't agree with pay mods, unless they have gone through all the legal channels and have gotten permissions and licensing then they have paid more then what they will ever get back from selling their work.
    • If the developers of Cattle and Crops read this,

if they want to get in with this problem, the solution or how to do it I think it would be a platform inside the Simulator,

protect and promote the creator, protecting the files and if they want to urge can not , And you get an email from the creator, to ask permission from the creator.

Q a happy creator brings more copies sold Cattle and Crops insured

but q asked the farming q the console crying because they get mods

regards

Mr. G4tero
    • I can see this discussion has gone a bit further, and I have a couple more points to toss out there for people to think about as well so here goes =)

Steam/Bethesda tried with the whole "Pay money for mods" on Steam Workshop for Skyrim, and it ended in a total shitstorm from the community. Everyone that ever used mods, were absolutely outraged over the ability for mod creators to monetize their work. Mostly due to the fact, that mods are never held up to the same standard as main game content is (Very limited Quaility Assurance and support from the creators) and this thing, to my knowledge, is even less used in the FarmSim-community.

The FarmSim-modding community seems more fractured, with dozens up dozens of smaller communities with focus on single languages (Marhu.net, Blacksheep Modding, American Eagle Modding, and so forth). All these communities use their own forums to talk about their mods, show the work being done on them and recieve feedback and bug-reports. This makes it very non-transparent for the end user of a mod, to know where to go for certain information (Where do I report a bug I find on a map? This implements working width does not match the actual model, etc). This, coupled with the obvious language barrier, makes things really difficult.

I have done the same as Kewl has with some mods. Altered them to fit my game-style or even fixed some glaring bugs, but never re-uploaded them or used them outside of my own singleplayer game.

Last thing I noted, is the rising hate for mod-authors (Or just users uploading) to use sites such as uploaded.net, to monitze. I've seen several comments on modland.net when UL.net is used and I think it's due to people not trusting whether it is the actual mod-author that uploaded it in the first place. This particular problem can be fixed in several ways, which I will list here;

#1 Steam Workshop integration. This is the most "End-user" friendly solution, as it offers both a place for authors to show their work and recieve feedback from the people that actually uses their mods, see how much their mods is being used, and always make sure that people have the latest version of said mod. See how it's done for Skyrim, Stellaris etc.

#2 Cattle And Crops Forum section. Again, I point to how Kerbal Space Program does it, cause the modding community is so tight. Every modder knows each other, they ask each other for help with their work, the absolutely LOVE to show their work and the people that uses their mods, loves to complement them. A third party website is mostly used as a "modhub" (spacedock.info, go take a look) which is also tied into a sort of mod manager for KSP (CKAN), that autoupdates mods and can fetch whole mod packages for you, if needed.

#3 Third party modhub. This is more how it's done for Fallout 4, with NexusMods.com being the only real modhub for it. This is purely a community-based thing, as it was up long before Bethesda's own modhub (Was only launched after console release) and such, if you need a mod for FO4, you go here to find it. Everything is uploaded to their servers, and you don't download of some shady site like ul.net or other. If you want to donate to the modders, you can, if you want to donate to the Nexus, you can, but everything is free.

Of these version, I mostly like #1 and 2, as they are the easiest to maintain and control for everyone. Both for MBB, but certainly for the community as well.

There will ALWAYS be someone shady trying to steal your work or take credit for it, it's a simple fact in everything that's being made today. But why punish the 1000s of people loving and using your work to get a better experience, because of one rotten egg? If you like creating mods so much you want money for it, become a professional game content creator instead, and make mods on the side? Who knows, if your mods are awesome enough, the devs might even offer you a job, or you get enough experience to create your own game in the end ;)

But seeing as the guy behind modhoster is in MBB, I'm sure they will have a nice and clean solution for this "problem" anyways.
    • They failed in a lot of ways with the whole paid mods thing and it's not something one talks about anymore because it was a dark moment in the history of modding ;P

A mod section on the forum will likely be an option they go for the game or maybe even something like the fs modhub. Steam Workshop is good as long as the mods uploaded aren't complicated etc which is why most mods for Bethesda games comes from nexus.

If a modteam or a mod author has a website whrere they post mods and WIP topics then thats where i go to dl and post bug reports.

Personally I would prefer a modhub on C&C's website or a mod section here in the forums. Second besct option is a Community created forum like FS-UK, Modhoster, Nexus.

Steam workshop is just a no go for me personally. EDIT: and because they are going to release the game on steam and using their own game launcher steam workshop will end up being a modsite where only steam users can get steam mods from

There is no way for mod authors to protect their mods 100% but if upload your mods to a well known and trusted mod hosting site then you can at least be sure that the majority of users using your mod got it from that mod site :)

i5 4690k - 3,5 Ghz, EVGA gtx 1070 ftw hybrid - 8 gb vram, 16 gb 1600 Mhz ddr3 ram
    • Vanquish081 wrote:

I will not give up the idea that I have a mod when I do it, maybe abandon the idea of publishing it.
      I am starting to think the same way. I bought this game with the idea that it would be a good place to create original content. A game by and for modders. But this thread makes me think it is the same as everywhere else. No respect for modders or their time and efforts.

OlaHaldor wrote:

How many in this thread have made an original mod?
      Good question. I think the people who spend days or months creating original content would like modders to retain control of their work.

BamseTD wrote:

Steam/Bethesda tried with the whole "Pay money for mods" on Steam Workshop for Skyrim, and it ended in a total shitstorm from the community. Everyone that ever used mods, were absolutely outraged over the ability for mod creators to monetize their work.
      130,000 Steam members signed a petition saying modders should not be given the choice to charge something for their mods. This episode proved that most gamers think mods are worthless, and a modder's time and efforts should not be rewarded.
    • Dogface wrote:

BamseTD wrote:

Steam/Bethesda tried with the whole "Pay money for mods" on Steam Workshop for Skyrim, and it ended in a total shitstorm from the community. Everyone that ever used mods, were absolutely outraged over the ability for mod creators to monetize their work.
      130,000 Steam members signed a petition saying modders should not be given the choice to charge something for their mods. This episode proved that most gamers think mods are worthless, and a modder's time and efforts should not be rewarded.

I think you will find it was the amount of people who uploaded other peoples mods as their own to try and make a bit of money and why there was backlash from both sides, showing on the whole why over they years many people stop releasing mods or only make stuff for themselves and small groups of trusted friends.
    • Would I like to get paid for the mods I make? Absolutely. How much would the end user have to pay? IF it would mean the same number of downloads I got on my Transport Fever mods alone, I'd be happy with as little as €2 or so per download. Or maybe a pack of all of my (current) mods for €5-8

Would it make me filthy rich? No. But it would be a pretty good incentive for me to continue to go the extra mile with thorough research, connecting with new people who can give me access to photos, or even access to go there myself and bring my photo gear for reference photos, whatever necessary.

Would I create mods without being paid? Yes. But it'll take far longer to complete without an incentive or getting something back for all the work that goes into making the mod. Out of 50K downloads on Steam, I think I've had far less than a 100 "thank you". Most of the time I get requests. "Why don't you... Could you make a different version with.. When is *** coming out?" etc. On top of that there's those who take my work and post elsewhere without my consent.

I would possibly also be more open to requests with an incentive. Currently I'm not taking requests because: where's my benefit? What do I get out of it? You as a consumer get the mod you've been looking for so long! Making mods is not a charity.

When I select something to make a mod of, it's not because others want it - it's because I want it. And as I've said before, you're lucky I'm sharing.
      The mod I create may not become the most popular choice among players, but that's not my goal either. I'd rather have a few, thankful consumers among those who download, than a load of whining kids requesting, requiring, nagging for the next project to be something of their choice.
      Workstation: i7 5960x | 128GB RAM | GTX 1080
      HP Omen Laptop: i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070
    • You can forget all about paid mods in a game like this. Legally it's simply not possible due to licenses. You are not allowed to monetize a John Deere mod, because you then would make money on the John Deere brand and that requires an expensive licens from John Deere and legal demands for quality. The difference between a Skyrim mod and a CnC or FS mod is: brand licenses. A mod for Skyrim is not using any other brand than the Skyrim brand and if the owner of the brand allows you to charge for a mod, it's legally all good.

That being said I only think it's fair that modders are credited where credit is due and I fully understand the need to want to get credit for ones work. I really hope CnC find a good solution to this, because there is too much shit going on with the FS community.

Would it be possible to watermark mods in anyway? And through that be able to take down mods uploaded without modders' consent?